"Back in fourth grade, I volunteered for the first time at the gram tables." She paused to bite down on her lip, "and he approached me out of all the volunteers to request a pink carnation to send to your name. It's like he knew I was your best friend because he was so friendly."

You blinked, confused. Was she getting worked up by this?

Her brows furrowed and constantly rubbed the corner of her eyes. A silent gasp shook your lips when your notice a small tear sneaking through Avery's fingers and slid down until it was absorbed by her shirt. It was awkward and the atmosphere felt tense, but you could read her. Avery is not the kind to break down so easily, so you just had to put it out there.

"You like him too, don't you?"

"The color changed this year, [Name]," Avery sharply said, avoiding your question.

"What did?"

"The carnation, smart one," she coldly pressed before spitting out her gum. "If it's a different color, he may come clean since it is our last year in Middle School."

Your hands clasped nervously at your lap. "Well you know—" But pulled back in shock when Avery whipped her head at you, her eyes rounded as a faint pink tinted her cheeks.

"A-And for the record, I...I like someone else," she flustered, which you caught right away.

"Avery, I don't know him, so I'll just back off-

"STOP!" Avery jumped at her own reaction. You both looked at each other wide-eyed, shocked after Avery  shouted involuntarily. Her cheeks faded into a shamed blush once realizing that her tone had actually scared you. Trying to break the awkward silence, your hand reached out to pat her shoulder, but  Avery had already stood up from the table so her back faced you.

"Look, [Name]," Avery spoke up gently,"I never told you because every time I was asked to volunteer at the tables, he would approach me specifically to request the carnation, and HE always..." She trailed off to a sigh. "...He always made a 'shushing' gesture as if he wanted to keep it a secret from you."

You watched as Avery's hands balled into fists the longer she stood without a response from you. No wonder these times of the year always flipped her around; her attitude became distant and cold until the week after Valentine's.

"Who is he, Avery?" you dared to ask as curiosity struck out of nowhere. Avery only shook her head and returned to the seat next to you. A set of low laughs quakes her shoulders as she leaned against the table with a palm posed under her chin. She smirked, blinking at you in boredom.

"Isn't it obvious, [Name]?"

***

2:26AM

Glaring at the clock on the nightstand beside you, an impatient sigh leaves your lips and sunk your head into the pillow.

"Damn insomnia," you growl and pull an arm over your face, trying to block the moonlight that peeked through the tiny ripped hole of your curtain. These memories just wouldn't leave you at peace to sleep...

***

"Oooh-Looky, looky~! And for [Name], [Last Name]~!" said one of the cheery ASB students as she handed you your Valentine's Carnation Gram.

Your cheeks flushed crimson red when the whole classroom turned to stare at the deep toned carnation in your hand. Some snickered while some stared in jealousy, since most of your classmates received white and pink carnations.