Chapter 5: Apology

Adrien's POV

Adrien's POV

"Marinette!" I yelled after her as she raced passed me. Was... Was she crying? I thought I had seen tears streaking down her face.

I immediately turned into an alley and let Plagg out of his hiding place in my over shirt. "Home already?" The kwami asked. "I want food."

"Plagg," I said worryingly. "Marinette was running home, and I think she... She was crying."

"What did you do?" The kwami narrowed his eyes.

"Nothing! At least, I don't think I did anything."

"She's your friend, right?" Plagg asked. "Go check on her."

"I don't know if I should." I sighed. "She has Alya."

"Why can't she have you there for her too?"

"What if it was me who made her cry?" I looked down feeling guilty. "I can't face her."

"At least if you did make Marinette cry, you didn't mean too." Plagg said. "Try talking to her about it."

I didn't reply. I felt my own eyes forming tears. I hope it wasn't me who made her cry.

"Well?" Plagg asked impatiently. "Go check on her!"

"Won't it be weird?" I asked. "For me to check on her? What if she refuses to talk to me?"

"Kid, if you don't at least try, she may be akumatized."

"You're right, Plagg." I said. "I have to transform." For once Plagg didn't complain. "Claws out!"

I only truly felt myself as Chat Noir. I leaped from house to house, enjoying the rush of wind through my hair. I made my way over to Marinette's house performing flips and twists with the help of my baton.

Landing on a building right next to the Dupain-Cheng bakery, I noticed it. A small black butterfly could be seen high in the darkening sky, floating lower and lower. Looking onto Marinette's balcony, I realized that's where the akuma was headed.

"Not on my watch." I muttered as I pulled my baton out from behind me. I extended it upward, letting my weapon carry me towards the akuma. "Cataclysm!" I yelled as I neared it.

As my hand made contact with the dark butterfly, I almost immediately regretted destroying it. The akuma turned into dust and blew away with the wind.

It was Hawk Moth's evil doings, not this butterfly's. I quickly lowered myself and detransformed.

"I can't believe I did that." I muttered. "I destroyed it... It was innocent." I slumped down, sitting on the roof resting my head in my hands.

Plagg lay on the rooftop next to my feet. "Kid, you did the right thing." The kwami said weakly. "If it wasn't for you, Marinette would have become akumatized. Now go see her before Hawk Moth sends another."