Chapter 30

The ground was hard beneath me. Water seeped away, drying the land after the battle was over. What left of the havoc had disappeared like a breeze sending dandelions flying. Once Ravana died, his power vanished with him. His army melted into nothingness. His city crumbled to dust and lost to the wind.

The trumpets and horns blew.

No doubt the dread of Ravana was over, the sun had risen and the sky was clear now, darkness was gone and the light was everywhere. The world was now stabilized after the quivering of the Great War. The wind started flowing with divine odor, justice was delivered and truth had finally prevailed. Flocks of swans flew overhead, crying melodious songs. Men would say that they were celestial beings in disguise, bringing praises from heaven.

Golden dust like fireflies swept around the battlefield before it settled in one spot, revealing a familiar form. A dainty figure that I would recognize in any world. Barely conscious, I smiled.

"Amarisa."

I wished this how it ended.

But I fell and did not feel myself landing. It was as if I kept falling in a dream. At last, all was silent, except the sound that was engraved upon my heart.

"Nikita! My dearest Nikita!"

Gladly would I give up my life a thousand times could I only hear it again and again!

Joy burst in my heart knowing that Amarisa was free. Her voice confirmed it. She had come to me like a white dove breaking from her cage. Once she reached my listless body, the princess flung herself upon me and cried, marring her lovely face with tears.

"Oh gods, why? What cruel fate is upon me? Why did I find my love lying in blood and dirt?"

"Amarisa, is that truly you?" I whispered. My voice was faint even in my ears, and I did not see her at first as I was lying still.

"Yes, my heart's love, it is me, your wife," she said between sobs. "You have freed me, and now I am here."

The pain had paralyzed me down, but the numbness slowly seeped in, giving me some relief. But seeing her tears burned more than any wounds.

"Did he hurt you? Did he touch you?" I asked her and saw her shaking her head.

"No, he did not. He could not." She bent down and kissed my forehead, brushing my hair back from my face. She turned to the others. "Can you help her? Please! Bring her to the twins. They would know how to help her, please!"

I touched Amarisa hand and she laced our fingers together.

"No use," I said softly. "I'm just happy I have you in my arms again, to see your face and hear your voice. This is all I needed."

"No!" Amarisa cried. "Nikita, don't say that! Don't frighten me. I am free now, and I shall tend to you myself, every day and every night until you're healed and well. Please, stay!"

I stared at her. I felt like a newborn trying to see. Amarisa was fair as a flower, bright as a morning sun. As she wept and held me, memories poured in. They were in no particular order, for here I was, a girl inside a dark pit of the pyramid, a girl plunging into the fragrant water only to find the princess of her heart. Other memories of us riding on the back of the winged horse, the sunlight soft as a shawl on our shoulders, frolicking in the most beautiful garden on earth with a blush on our cheeks and getting sweaty and teary with passion.

"I love you," I whispered before blood spilled from my gasping mouth.

"No!"

My friends had tears in their eyes. They laid their hands on the ground, weeping and huddling together in grief.