Chapter 5

"Nikita look! We are here!" Atith said. I lifted my eyes to see the intersected rivers running and shimmering like silver fish-scales in the sunlight. We had finally reached the Great Lake.

If it was up to my pestering heart, I would have plunged myself into the river right then and there. Yet all I did was staring at the vast belly of waters sprawling out like an inland sea.

We found a place to rest and discuss our next plan.

"Samudra, where do you think the Naga entrance is?" Tusita asked.

The sea god's son frowned in contemplation. His dark eyes stared intensely at the water.

"I have to get down there and look," he said. "But the Great Lake is a sacred place of the Naga race. We have to be careful. I need Atith to come along in case something happens."

"But I can't swim," Atith said.

"You're with me, you shall be fine." Samudra waved his hands and the water parted, making a path into the river.

"Bless the gods!" Atith exclaimed.

After everything was ready, the two avatars went down the riverbank. They walked into the river about a hundred paces before their heads submerged underwater.

The radiant sun began to blush then redden and glow with a thousand colors. We remained on the shore, waiting for their return. My eyes never left the rippling water. An hour passed, I turned to the nearby mangrove instead or I would go mad from my sense of helplessness. It was better to be far from the river, so I could not see it.

As I sat among the twisted tree trunks and woven shrubs, I listened to the cries of birds—cranes, golden weavers, and wood-peckers bickering on the branches. But nothing could distract my mind from worries.

Nothing promising had crested the sparkling water either. Tusita was standing over the muddy bank, shading her eyes from the glare of the sun. Kesar was preparing dried food she had packed from the city. She knew I had eaten nothing since we left.

Then we heard a shout. My heart leaped, and I went running back to the river. We saw Atith and Samudra emerged.

"Did you find it?" Tusita yelled before they could even reach the bank. They seemed exhausted.

I tried to be patient and waited until they could tell us, but my eyes were filled with the same question. Kesar came to stand by me. Her face was tight and imploring just like mine.

"None but fish and more fish," Atith said to our dismay. "No entrance, not even a cave in sight."

"I suspected that as much," Tusita muttered to herself. "We can't pass the Naga Gate unless we are invited."

I sighed, remembering what my mother had told me.

"The Naga realm is beyond all physical boundaries that no mortals could enter," I said more to myself.

"I shall speak to Father about this," Tusita said urgently. "Perhaps, he could give us some guidance."

With a dispirited nod, I agreed to wait. There was nothing we could do at the moment. Tusita began to meditate, sitting under the shade of a tall mango tree. Atith took his nap on the chariot as his own weariness had caught up with him.

Samudra started building fire before nightfall.

For me, I could not rest and decided to wander into the woods. Sitting down on a moss-covered stone, it reminded me of the day I kissed Amarisa by the waterfall. Now I feared that this long separation would take her heart farther away from me.