Chapter 3

Our chariot cruised along one of the four great streams that would lead us to their crossing. There we assumed the entrance must be hidden, yet how we were to pass through it was another story. I hoped with our steadfast speed, we could reach the crossed rivers before another sunrise.

We had been going without stopping. The sun horses were tireless but not us. We took a short rest. Kesar had joined me on the chariot. I caught her nodding off and let her sleep on my shoulder. The poor maiden must have been exhausted from the long flight. With my back leaned against the railing, I held her and made sure she was comfortable in her quiet slumber.

Samudra was meditating. He was probably trying to contact his divine father. Would the sea god know how to enter the Naga world?

Under the reflected glow of Atith's flamboyant armors against the light of his fire-breathing horses, I was able to stay vigilant and studied the map in my hands. Admittedly, I was afraid if I didn't memorize it, the paths would shift to confuse my mind and lengthen our journey.

I had never paid much attention to the shape of the empire I ended up in until now. It sprawled over so many kingdoms ruled by allied kings. The rivers and mountains were drawn and colored in dark green hue and a pale blue. When I traced my finger to where my princess might be held hostage, my hand tingled with an indescribable sensation. It was both a summoning and a warning.

"Nikita, you must rest. You pallor worries me," Tusita said with a concerned look. "The next dawn break we will arrive."

"No, I can't rest," I said and shook my head. "Let me stay with you."

I reassured her with a forced dry smile.

After the break, we advanced forwards again. The forest opened its savage features and gradually swallowed us deeper and deeper.

We rode all day until the sun went down again. Beyond the night, I could see the river stretched along the solitary region.

All the while, I kept thinking about Amarisa. She must be too wounded by heartache to eat. Neither food nor drink would have passed her lips bearing any taste. Indeed, she must return to, or we would whither in separate worlds.

"Nikita, I know I should not pry as I regard you highly," Tusita said again with a hint of curiosity. "But what happened between you and the princess?"

I looked back at my friend. She was silent as she waited. Her penetrating stare never left mine. Even Atith also tilted his head for a better hearing. I swallowed the guilty lump that threatened to clog my throat.

"I cheated on her with other maidens," I told them honestly.

"What!?" the two avatars exclaimed in shocked unison.

"You heard me right," I said. "I did it with Kesar and with Goddess Kemira and lastly Sovannmacha, the mermaid queen. Yes, all is true and I would understand if now you hate me so. But I beg this of you, my friends, please help me restore my princess and you can have me punished in any way you wish."

"You have bedded one of my heavenly sisters?" Tusita said in disbelief. It seemed she was stunned by that particular detail the most. I lowered my head in evident shame.

"By Meru gods, I can't believe you did such a thing!" Atith cried. "What in the Seventh Hell made you blind and dumb to have done this crime? No wonder the princess ran away!"

Tears burned hot in the back of my eyes.

"You have done some unspeakable deeds, Nikita," Tusita said in a tone I had never heard from her before. It was like jagged ice that scratched my skin. "But only the gods could judge what punishment you shall receive."