A Songbird in a Pear Tree

Winter came swiftly on the country side, giving life to the manor and to the young master. He was always cheerful around the holidays, and his love for Christmas was no secret.

I was in charge of helping decorate the Christmas tree this year. It was gorgeous, really. All of the glittering glass ornaments with strings of holly wrapping the entire tree. It made me feel light and joyful, so I hummed quietly as I decorated, until the peace was broken, almost literally.

"Bloom!" His highness said as he hugged me from behind, almost tackling me. I accidentally dropped the ornament I was holding, but thankfully it didn't break and landed safely on the rug. I sighed  in relief and looked at Alois, smiling softly.

"Hello young master, is there something I can help you with?"

A pout curled onto his lip. "There's no need for formality's like that, you're my beloved."

My back stiffened and I quieted my voice. "A-Alois, please keep it down..! I don't want Mr. Claude to hear us...!"

"Oooh...!" He said, and quieted his voice. "Sorry."

Sighing softly, I gently picked up the fallen ornament and placed it onto the tree. "It is all right... it's not your fault..."

Alois' eyes saddened. I knew what he wanted. He wanted so badly to kiss me, to hold me, to love me, and to not worry about Mister Claude... but I was afraid of that man. He could very well do something to me, or to Alois. I wouldn't allow that.

"Bloom... darling..." he gently took my hand and gave it a quick kiss. A soft blush dusted my cheeks. It was a small I love you. I wanted so badly to say it out loud, but I was to scared.

Suddenly, Alois tugged my arm and began leading me away from the tree. "H-highness...?" I asked softly. He didn't answer, he only lead me silently to his bed chambers.

Once finally there, he let go of my hand and turned to me. "Bloom, I love you... I love to more than anything in the world... and... I..." he slowly reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver ring adorned with a red ruby. My eyes widened. What is he doing...?!

Getting down on one knee, he looked up at me and held out the ring. "I would like to marry you. It doesn't have to be right away, but someday.... please Bloom.... what do you say?"

The tears welled up in my eyes and a warm, happy feeling exploded from my chest. Is this really happening?! I couldn't contain myself. I hugged him, almost tackling Alois in the process, and gave him my answer.

"Yes!"