The Halloween Circus

The shimmering lights and the sounds of laughter surrounded me as I walked around the circus in my skeleton costume. The dress and top hat was adorned with red and black roses and my face was painted like a Spanish sugar skull. Tonight was All Hallows' Eve, the night of the Halloween Circus.

Every year, the circus puts on a Halloween Circus to bring in families and give a safe environment for the children in town to go and get treats. There was bobbing for apples, ring toss, pumpkin carving, a costume contest, an interactive performance, and a haunted house.

This haunted house was mostly for the older attendees. It was quite frightening and not at all meant for small children. But, of course, this is where the problem lies.

As I was walking past the haunted house, I noticed a small girl go inside. Worried that she might get frightened, I quickly fallowed her inside. I was never a fan of haunted houses, and this was no acceptation. There was blood everywhere I looked and broken toys strewn about. I scanned all over for the young girl, but when a distorted figure reached out for me, I screamed and took off running.

I ran into a room that was, again, covered in blood. But this one was different. It was a child's bedroom. A broken crib stood in the corner and demented looking toys where strewn about. Suddenly, the closet creaked open and out stepped a young boy and a young girl. They where dressed the same and had they both had wide and dead-looking eyes.

"Come play with us, Time Keeper..." said the boy and girl, who I later found out was Peter and Wendy, in unison.

I let out another horrified scream and ran away as quickly as I could. I ran past twists, turns, and many scary items, but an exit was no where in sight. Eventually, I was fatigued and fell to the floor, covering my head with my arms. That is when I was greeted by a friendly face.

"E-excuse me miss? Are you all right? Do you need help getting out?" I friendly and familiar voice asked me. I looked up to see that he was, indeed, familiar.

"F-Finny...?" I asked, trying to control my voice.

He blinked and raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Miss Kathrine? Is that you?"

I nodded and gulped down the lump in my throat, trying not to cry in relief.

"Are you lost? Do you need help getting out?"

I nodded once again, choking back my words.

"Well, here, let me help you..!" He said, and gently picked me up bridal-style. We was incredibly strong, with the ability to hold me with ease, but yet he was so kind and gentle.

I buried my face into his shoulder and closed my eyes as he carried me out of the haunted house. Once we where outside and away from the attraction, Finny gently set me down on the ground.

"Are you sure you are all right Miss Kathrine?" He asked me, gently holding my hand and looking me in the eyes. His eyes where full of concern.

A blush spread itself across my cheeks and I nodded. "Y-yes, I'm sure. Thank you Finny..."

"Why, Time Keeper, you look like you have seen a terrible fright... says Keats." Snake said as he approached us.

Finny blinked and looks down at me. "Time Keeper...? You work here at the circus?"

Before I could speak, Snake interrupted.

"Of corse she does! Have you not seen her picture on the posters around town? ... says Donne."

"Oh... I have not, actually." Finny replied apologetically.

"O-oh, It's all right! Th-thank you for helping me out of the haunted house..!" I said, gently taking his hands and smiling up at him.

A soft blush dusted his cheeks this time and he smiled brightly at me. "It was no problem! I will have to take my leave now, it was good to see you Miss Kathrine!"

"And you as well..!"

Letting go of my hands, he took his leave, one of Snake's snakes hissing softly as he passed. I felt a gentle hand take hold of mine and I looked up at Snake.

"Come, you must rest. You look pale... says Keats."

I nodded slowly and fallowed Snake back to my tent. Sitting me down on the bed he began to wash off my face makeup. He was silent as he did this, but I could tell he was slightly upset. After he was finished, he stood up.

"Would you like me to get you a glass of water?" He asked me in a voice I didn't recognize. I waited for him to say something like, "says Donne" but it never came. He was actually talking to me.

"Y-yes please...!" I stammered out, still slightly in shock. He nodded and exited the tent. I lay down on my bed and sighed, my head still spinning.

This has been one odd night.