The Fox and the Lady

As summer turned into autumn, I spent more of my time outside. I loved the crisp air and the sent of the surrounding trees. I loved to wake up early in the morning, put on my shirt and trousers, and go run around the grounds bare-footed. The grass between my toes felt nice so early in the morning.

Of course, I could never let anyone else see me do this. Especially not Ciel. I'm a wild and free spirit, but Ciel is my partner. I cannot have him think any less of me. I have had some close calls, though. Finny, the gardener, has come outside while I was out there and I would have to hide and sneak back into the manor. It was all worth it, though. But, there was one other thing...

"Mistress Bodiguard, don't you want to look nice for the young master?" Mey-Rin, the maid, asked me while holding up a blue and white gown. It was much to girly and fancy for my taste. She was always doing this, trying to get me to wear proper ladies clothing.

"No," I sighed softly and closed my journal. "I do not. I do not wish to wear a frilly dress like that. It's bad enough I have to wear these casual dresses all of the time!"

Mey-Rin sighed. "Yes, but... the young master's fiancé is coming to visit today and..."

I knit my eyebrows. "Fiancé? He never mentioned being betrothed..."

"Oh, yes! He has been betrothed since he was just a young boy, yes he has! Her name is Lady Elizabeth Midford"

I rubbed my chin. "A lady, eh...? Well, damn... I suppose I will have to dress up..." I sighed reluctantly. "Wonderful..."

Mey-Rin's eyes lit up. "Oh, wonderful! I'll run a bath for you, miss!" She said before putting the dress on my bed and scurrying off. Sighing, I got up and fallowed suit.

After a through scrubbing, some reluctant hair styling, and having a fight with a dreadful corset, it was finally done. Looking at myself in the mirror, I hardly recognized the girl staring back at me. She looked like an object. A mere doll.

"Oh, Mistress Bodiguard, you look so pretty, yes you do~!" Mey-Rin gushed as she held her blushing cheeks.

"Yes... thank you Mey-Rin..." I murmured softly, stifling my pride.

We walked out together into the great hall and I stood next to Ciel. His eye was wide with shock and awe. He had never seen me in anything other than casual dresses or my boys clothing. I glanced over at him and raised an eyebrow before he cleared his throat and looked away.

"You... you look very lovely, Miss Luella." He said, his voice wavering slightly. I huffed softly and nudged him with my elbow.

"C'mon now, don't act like that. Just because I'm all dressed up doesn't mean you have to treat me any different. I'm still me under all of this."

"Right, my apologies..." he said, before turning his head to the door as it opened. In stepped a girl, not much older than Ciel and I, with blonde hair tied into ringlet pigtails. Her smooth skin and fancy clothing made her look like a living doll. So pretty... so flawless... so object-like.

That's when she surprised me. Upon laying eyes on Ciel, her entire face lit up and she ran to him, arms outstretched only to capture him in a tight bear-hug. "Ciel~!!!!!!" She squealed in a high-pitched tone.

"I-it's good to see you too, Elizabeth..." Ciel replied, his voice strained from his lack of air.

Immediately, Elizabeth's happy expression dropped into a childish pout, letting go of Ciel and crossing her arms over her chest. "Ciel, how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Lizzy!" She whined, adding more emphasis to her childish demeanor.

Sighing, Ciel nodded. "Yes, of course. How rude of my to forget. I apologize, Lizzy."

Lizzy's pout subsided at the comment, but then she turned her head, finally acknowledging my presence. "Oh, hello...! I don't believe we have met..!" She said, a curious gleam in her eye.

"N-no, I don't believe we have." I stammered out.

"Lizzy, this is Luella Bodiguard, she is a friend of mine." Ciel said, motioning to me.

Awkwardly and stiffly, I curtsied, ever-so-slightly lifting the skirt of my dress off the ground. "How do you do, Miss?"

"Quite fine, thank you." Lizzy said, a sweet smile adorning her features

"Luella, this is my Fiancé, Lizzy Midford." Ciel said Vice Versa, motioning to Lizzy this time.

"How do you do?" She asked me, gracefully curtsying as if it where the most natural thing to do.

"I am fine as well..." I said, still in awe over the fact that she had managed such a feat with ease.

"My Lord," Sebastian said, breaking the conversation. "Refreshments are prepared for you in the parlor, and I am sure the young lady wishes to talk about what has happened since the last time you have seen each other."

Ciel nodded. "Yes, of course. Thank you Sebastian. This way." He said, and lead us to the parlor.

The day was filled with tea-sipping, small talk, and games. It was dreadfully boring, and this tight corset was forcing my back straight, not allowing me to sit comfortably. I was miserable all day. I have no idea how Lizzy managed to do this with such ease, it was completely beyond me. But, finally, as the sun began to set, we said our goodbyes to Lizzy.

"It was so wonderful to meet you Luella! I do hope we can talk again sometime!" She said cheerily, gently grasping my hands.

I forced a smile onto my face to mask the pain I was in. "I-I'm sure we will...!"

And with that, she got into her carriage and was gone. Despite my pain, I stood there and watched as until her carriage was out of sight. I then looked down at myself and frowned. This is not who I am. I am not a mere doll who does as she is told and is entertained by boring small talk. I am Luella Bodiguard, The Queen's Fox! And damn it all, I was not going to stand for this!

I ran inside, stripped myself of my dress, my corset, my stockings, and my shoes. Sighing contently at the soft and comfortable feeling of my trousers and shirt, I made my way outside. The sun was low in the sky now, and the air was starting to cool drastically, but I didn't care. I ran out into the lawn and danced, sang, and laughed. I shook my hair from its styled state and let myself feel free.

I didn't care if Finny came out and saw me. I didn't care I'd Mey-Rin came out and scolded me. I didn't care if Sebastian came out and thought less of me. I was happy to be free from the confines of society's image of the perfect lady. I was being me. But, what I didn't know at the time was that Ciel was watching me from his office window. Watching as I let myself be open for the first time since I had been there.

And he watched me with a smile.