A Fox's Journey

After a year of special training under the queen's royal guard, I was finally ready for my first mission. Now skilled in the use of a dagger and a pistol, I felt as though nothing could stop me. I was finally in control of my life. I was warm, safe, and no longer starving. I had dry clothing and the freedom to be who I was.

The queen and I both decided that it would be best if when I went on missions, that I dress as a boy and go by my father's name, Lionel Bodiguard. A woman working as a guard to the queen in this day and age is ahead of this time, so going undercover is my only option.

"People these days are so old fashioned. I don't see why a woman can't be seen as a strong public figure. For cryin' out loud, a woman rules our entire country!" I said as I slumped back in my chair, Queen Victoria chuckling softly at me.

"I'm afraid we are ahead of our time, my dear." She said, offering me a tea cake.

I sat up and sighed. "I suppose so... oh, thank you." Taking the tea cake in my hand, I bit into it, the tart blackberry jam cutting the sweetness of the cake. My eyes rolled back in my head and I sighed in delight.

"If you think that's delusions, just wait until you taste the food where you're going. Sebastian is an excellent cook!"

I blinked and looked at Queen Victoria, raising my eyebrow. "Sebastian...? Who's that?"

She gave me a warm smile. "Sebastian is the butler of my other underground worker. My guard dog, Ciel Phantomhive."

I snorted and then rubbed my nose to play it off once I realized how rude it was. "A guard dog named heaven*... how ironic."

Queen Victoria chuckled again. "Yes, I suppose it is... but I'm sure you'll learn to get along with Ciel. You'll have to, because for your first assignment, you will be working with him."

I frowned. "Working with him? But why? I can fully handle myself."

"I know dear, but you are new to the underground. It is dangerous. Having a guide would be your best option."

Sighing reluctantly, I nodded my head. "Yes ma'am..."

A few days later, I was packed into a carriage and headed for the outskirts of London. I have never liked dresses, not even when I was younger, but first impressions are everything, I suppose. Thankfully, I had an old companion accompanying me.

Sighing softly and turning the page of my book, the words created the images of capulets and montages and the forbidden love between star cross lovers. Books have always been my truest friends.

Not long after I had gotten halfway through my book, we arrived at the elegant Phantomhive manor. I could only ever dream of living in a mansion this size. But, I controlled my excitement and kept a cool demeanor as one of the the footman helped me out of the carriage and the other grabbed my trunk.

"Thank you." I said to both of them and made my way to the door. Not long after ringing the doorbell, a tall, slender, Raven-haired man opened the door and the hint of a smile graced his lips.

"Welcome to the Phantomhive manor. Please, do come in. " he said and stepped back, allowing me to enter as well as taking my trunk from the footsman.

I looked around the great entryway in awe. Everything was pristine and perfect, almost as if I had stepped into a fairy tail. The sudden clearing of the throat brought me out of my thoughts and put my focus on the blue haired boy standing on the top of the staircase.

"You must be the new recruit." He said, slowly coming down the staircase. "I am Ciel, son of Vincent Phantomhive, Earl to the Phantomhive name and the Queen's head guard dog. I am the protector of the underground," He stopped in front of me, looking me up and down. He was about the same age as I was. "And I will be damned if a dotty vixen where to get in my way."

A frown drew itself down on my lips. "I am not dotty. Besides..." a smirk drew onto my lips. "I have a name. I believe the Phantomhive Name prides itself on its hospitality?"

Letting out a small huff, Ciel straightened himself. "I apologize. And what, pray tell, would your name be?"

"Luella Bodiguard, the Queen's Fox." I said and outstretched my had. "Pleasure to meet you."

Ciel took my hand and shook it. "The pleasure is all mine."

And there, as I shook Ciel Phantomhive's hand and grinned at him, I knew for a fact that I was going to hate his guts.

*****
*Ciel's name means Heaven in French.