A Songbird's Sarrow

It has been a year since I became a Trancy maid and things have been... Suprising, to say the least. His highness likes to play this game with me where he will sneak up behind me and take my glasses. He finds it fun, so I've began to keep count. But, he is also unhappy. He has these moods where one moment, he can be perfectly fine, and the next moment, he's in an incredible rage. I wish I could understand why. I want to help him....

I have also become good friends with the other Maid in the manor, Miss Hannah. She is a very kind and beautiful lady. I feel sad, because she is usually on the receiving end of the master's rages. Why must bad things always happen to good people?

On the other end, it seems I have made an enemy in the manor. Mr. Claud, the head Butler, despises me. He always gives me the hardest jobs and scowls at me whenever the young master is around me. Is it because of the color of my skin...? Is it because I am a girl...? Is it because the young master seems fond of me? Or is it something else...?

"Miss Hannah...?" I asked as I helped Hannah hang the linens to dry outside.

"Hmm...? Yes, what is it dear?"

I looked down, scared to ask at first, but then I worked up my courage. "Why... why does the young master get have such horrid mood swings?"

Hannah looked at me, brushing a lock of lavender hair out of her face. "Well... you see dear, the young master has gone though a lot in his life. Horrible things... but the most horrible is that his younger brother Luka passed away very young."

My eyes saddened. "His brother...?" I asked. I never knew he had a younger brother. There are no traces of a young boy having lived here.

"Yes, but it is a sensitive subject. I suggest not bringing it up around his highness, all right?"

I nodded in understanding. I only wish there where something I could do to help him...

"Miss Montgomery, I need you inside." Mr. Claude said, walking over to us. I looked at Hannah and bit my lip.

"Go... it's best not to keep him waiting." She said softly to me. "I'll take it from here"

I nodded and fallowed Mr. Claude back inside. He lead me to the servant quarters, passing the gossiping triplets on our way. I always wonder what they are saying...

Mr. Claude assured me into my room and closed the door behind us. "I do not know what you take me for, Miss Montgomery, but I will tell you this, I am no fool." He said, sternly.

Now I was even more confused. "Huh...? Whatever do you mean?" I asked him.

He looked at me, giving me a cold glare. Quietly, he reached into his jacket and pulled out a small, leather bound journal. My drawing journal. "I mean this. Where did you acquire this journal? Did you steal it?"

I gasped softly. "Wh-what? No! I would never steal something! The young master gave it to me as a gift..!"

Mr. Claude was quiet for a moment, before opening the journal. I never learned how to read or write, and even if I tried, the letters just look so jumbled up, it confuses me. So, I learned to express myself and relive memories by drawing. I often did this at night before going to bed.

Mr. Claude looked though the pages, a look of displeasure clearly written on his usually monotone face. Suddenly, he ripped a page out of the journal. And then another. And another, until all of the pages had been ripped out and only the leather cover remained. I could feel my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Dropping the leather cover on the ground, he bent down and looked me dead in the eyes. "Do not accept any more gifts from his highness. It is inappropriate behavior for a servant." He said, and then stood up. "You're lucky I'm allowing you to keep those glasses."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't. I bowed my head and slowly nodded.

He straightened his tail coat before turning and walking out. Once he was gone, I slowly bent down and began to pick up the ripped pieces of paper. I managed to save a few drawings and some blank pieces of paper, but most of them there completely destroyed. Tears stained my cheeks as I threw the ripped paper and leather book covers in the waste bin. Mr. Claude is right. I suppose it's time for me to learn my place.