Shock

After an uncomfortable span of time you had to rise and follow the one who had convincingly, yet still wrongfully put you in your place.

Perhaps you were vain, ignorant, somewhat foolish, but that didn't make him any less of a liar.

Evening slowly arrived as a hazy twilight turned the once sunny hallways a darker shade of blue, the hope you felt dwindling with each moment of the encroaching night. You vowed to remain stoic in front of Ciel, as though the argument between his two most trusted sergeants never occurred. You could still pretend to be happy, though you had begun to forget what it felt like anymore.

The carriage departed quickly after letting its occupant out, and he exited the coach alone, mysteriously unaccompanied by any of his extended family members. You wanted to ask him why he returned in such a solitary fashion but you were prevented from approaching him, as Sebastian blocked your path, ensuring complete dominance over the homecoming. Still, he asked what you wanted to know.

"Home so soon?" He laughed lightly, almost mockingly. Ciel noticed and shot him a disapproving look. "You never were the best at entertaining young ladies, were you?"

"I don't have to take that from the likes of you." You hid a smirk. "Follow me. I'll explain why I had to leave Elizabeth's."

You did as instructed, and closely walked behind them both, curious to know what transpired. By the time you arrived in his study, the sun had nearly completely disappeared behind the evergreens which surrounded the estate. Shadows fell across the room, coating it in an eerie amber glow. Sebastian had already prepared for his master's arrival, so the walls were lit, your faces visible in flickering candlelight mixed with the glow from dimly shining lamps. After a few tense moments, Ciel broke the silence.

"There's been a complication." You inhaled. What a vague way to reveal important information. You hoped he'd continue without being asked. Yet, something seemed to be holding him back. He turned to look at you, and he exhaled. You didn't realize he'd been holding his breath the same way you were. He paused before you nearly collapsed from the shock of what was said.

"Your father is dead."

{A/N: I will make this comment brief, as to not detract from the drama of the way it ended but, THIS WAS THE SHORTEST CHAPTER EVER! I guess it didn't need to be long if what it said was so interesting. Okay back to tragedy.}