Warmth

"Where is Ciel?"

The first thing that came to your mind after you'd gotten out of the worst parts of the East End was what had happened to the young man who'd taken you there in the first place. It seemed like hours had passed, and you'd been carried the entire way by Sebastian. You didn't want to admit you were chilled to the bone, as you'd claim later than you enjoyed the feeling of slowly freezing to death- you were masochistic, to put it poetically.

Sebastian replied to your question. "He's safe. He's taken up residence in his townhouse, not far from here." He looked down at you, scowling at the thought of being held like a child, or a newlywed about to be lifted over the threshold to her new home. He looked around, scanning the deserted streets of the still lowly section between the East and West Ends for what seemed like the hundredth time that evening.

"One, how did he get there?" You went on asking Sebastian, still throughly confused. "And two, what are you looking for?"

His eyes narrowed. He seemed to be sensing something you couldn't. You couldn't place how, but you grew nervous. "We can't go back right now." was all he said while continually looking into the darkness. "We may be followed. It's not safe yet. We'll have to stay here until dawn." He pulled you up as you slipped due to your reaction.

You arms flailed as you worked to hit the man who was carrying you, as he ducked his head to and fro, avoiding each of your ill-intentioned punches. "What. Do. You. Mean. We. Have. To. Stay. Here?!?!?!" You were furious and you did not understand why you couldn't go back to the townhouse your new boss was in. If he could get home with his butler's help why couldn't you, or better yet, why couldn't his butler himself? Was it because he came back for you? That fast? Who was this man?

"We can't go back-" Sebastian seized your wrist in his hand, and looked you in the eyes, making sure you didn't try anything else. -"because it's not safe for you."

"For me?" You replied with a sense of shock. "Why isn't it safe for me?"

Sebastian relaxed his grip. "This is one of those rare occasions in which my master is completely competent in ensuring his own safety. He's not the target of the attacks tonight, it's just you. The men looking for you cannot harm the Queen's Guard Dog, as the family name is feared far too much in this part of the city. You on the other hand, have no means of protection, save your own, and I must say it's not enough."

"Not enough?" You laughed. "I've protected myself for years. I don't need anyone's help, especially not some butler's." You shivered when the last word left your lips, and you felt a throbbing feeling in your head, almost as though you'd been hit. You noticed the fog in the air as you breathed in and out- it almost looked to be congealing, turning instantaneously from air into ice. How cold was it outside?

"You're clearly unwell. You need to rest and you need to avoid catching all sorts of illnesses. It's far too cold tonight to travel much further." He stopped in front of the walkway which led back toward the area of London you now called home. In front of you, you could make out the faint outline of the buildings you knew marked the entrance to the Tower Bridge, and you thought that through the night, you could even see the deep indigo waters of the Thames below the streets in which you'd been walking. Before you, a stone bench sat, with no back for support, almost as though it was a resting place for a coffin, no more than an alter in the dying designs of the East End. "We'll stay here for the rest of the night. Come sunrise, we'll head home, and my master will take us back to the manor."

"Stay here? On what? That slab?" You scoffed. "How, Sebastian? How are we going to-" you stopped. "What're you doing? Sebast-"

He sat down on the sorry excuse for a bench, without dropping you or even adjusting your position, as he kept himself perfectly poised, leaning back on the stone as though it were a fainting couch in the courts of the royal family. Without any support, he was able to hold himself up, as he softly nestled you against him, finally wrapping his arms around you, encasing you in an immediate, protective manner, ensuring you'd no longer worry about being too cold.

He was warm. It was like he was on fire.

You noticed for the first true time that night how could you'd been. Despite your adherence to pride, you nearly fell asleep immediately. Before you could however, you had the energy for one last time to badger and chastise the man in your present company.

"Stop it!" You worked to sit up, but you couldn't. You didn't know if it was because you were too weak, too exhausted, or if it was due to him restraining you. "Get- off- me!" He wouldn't let you go.

"I will not allow you to catch your death out here. It's either this, or you freeze. I don't much think my young Lord would allow for the second option. Fright all you want but you're staying right here with me." You squirmed again but it was no use. He wasn't doing anything wrong. Though your instincts told you that in these parts of town, you'd never let a man touch you, you realised Sebastian was right. If you were being hunted after all, the first place anyone who knew you would look was with other nobles. They must've somehow found out that you were with the Viscount, regardless of where Ciel was. He wasn't the only noble in London, not by far, though he certainly acted like he commanded the city on his own. You didn't know exactly what happened that evening that landed you in your current situation, but you were too worn out to care, and you were on the verge of sleeping, your mind clouded with the beginnings of dreams.

You drifted closer and closer to sleep, as to your astonishment, Sebastian began stroking your hair, in an unsolicited and nearly affectionate manner. He didn't have to do that. Still, you didn't dislike it. You liked it. You really liked it. This was nice. This was comforting. This was something you'd never enjoyed before. He spoke to you.

"There, there. It's alright. Daybreak isn't that far off. I'll be here. Trust me." Your eyes, which you'd worked hard to keep open caught the faint glimpse of a smile when he said those last two words. Trust me.

As you closed your eyes for good that cold, dark winter's night, you felt conflicted. Trust didn't come easy to you, and something about Sebastian Michaelis indicated he was not to be easily trusted.

Yet, here, in his arms, in one dark corner of the world, you knew you loved one thing about it that you never loved before.

You adored this feeling of warmth.

[A/N: aaaaand the sickeningly romantic stuff continues. Haha! This was totally not inspired by Game of Thrones/Twilight. I am a dark, brooding young adult with no appreciation for love. It'll only get more so that way from here, though. I'll say that much!]