Thirty-Eight

Depuis le début

By the time midnight rolled in, my eyes started getting rather tired though I kept pushing the thought aside.

"I once slept through 24 hours straight," she said and started laughing, the moonlight shining over a part of her face, making her eyes glimmer.

"No. Not possible." I took a sip from my coffee that had already gone cold. "Definitely not possible."

"It's true!" She defended herself. "You can totally ask Lendon we were roomies until we were like, nine. I was eight by the way and my parents were really worried. Your turn."

I took one moment to think, "I once. . . binge watched the Harry Potter movies, straight, all of them."

"Now, that is not possible!" She laughed again. "So not possible."

"Keep your voice down, you'll wake my neighbours," I said.

Her nose wrinkled a bit as she was still smiling, "Okay, I'll accept that. Okay. I can — fly a hot air balloon."

Not that I was questioning that, and that might be just out of the ordinary as not everyone can fly a hot air balloon but I did ask, "Wasn't that easy?"

"No!" She laughed and shook her head. "Are you kidding me? It's go wherever the wind takes you and that's not even —" she groaned. "Okay, that's definitely hard to explain. Can you just go with your turn?" She stirred her coffee using her spoon.

"I spent three nights in a row at the rooftop," I said. "During winter."

She blinked just a few times, "Y-You what?" She asked softly, the look of horror seen easily in her eyes. "Harry, you could have gotten sick. Oh my God, don't you dare do that while I'm—"

"Taylor, it's been done," I reminded her calmly, in the same tone she's using on me. "I did have a fever but luckily it didn't turn out to be anything else."

"Never do that again," she said softly. "Why would you even do that?"

"Heartbreaks kill," I answered. She of all people would understand that. Right then, I could feel the drowsiness taking over although I tried to push it aside as much as I could.

"You're not suicidal, are you?" She asked.

I shook my head, "No."

"Good." She shut her eyes, the music changed to the next. "Heartbreaks — Heartbreaks k-kill," she repeated, staring into nothing. "Can I ask you something?"

I paid into full attention as she stirred her coffee.

"Do you have any marshmallows?" She asked and I sniggered, I was expecting a serious question.

I broke into a fit of light chuckles, "Thought you were going to say something serious."

"It is serious," she said.

"Alright." I made my way to the fridge and the slice of light from it ran across the room to her, the light from it and from the moon illuminated her face completely and was it a beautiful sight. I was relieved that I got an excuse to stay awake, move around even for a bit but I have a feeling that my sleepiness isn't going to pass just like that.