Chapter Eight

A/N
:( I knowwww. Its been such a long time since I wrote. And I'm really sorry! Its been six months. I keep telling myself, "Regualar updates from next time!", but always fail to do so. And I'm sorry for that. No excuses for me, I've just been immensely lazyyy. :/
:( So here goes a quick recap, and I hope I 'll be able to put up regular chapters from now. :)

QUICK RECAPITULATION: Eleanor Rosalynn Smith Carter was born and brought up in California. She ends up in New York where she gets a call centre job. She starts to fall in love with the city, but hates her life because of increased loneliness she has to undergo, and her job treats her equally bad. Joey is the spirited young boy living next doors, always hitting on her. Her sister leaves her daughter, Chloe behind as she and Luke, her husband finally pack up for a honeymoon. Eleanor grows to love Chloe more than before, and learns a lot about children. Fed up with work, she quits her job and becomes a waitress in a French restaurant. Turns out, the son of the owner is the same guy she has been fantasising about since their little clash in the airport. She gets a weekend shift of four hours. While she takes on the challenges of her new job, she can't resist being attracted towards him. His sensual eyes, built stature, immense confidence and striking attitude never fails to win her admiration. He then suggests, that Eleanor learn some basic French cooking from him. She agrees, and inevitably, they get closer. Remi takes Eleanor to a bar to teach her about the many varieties of wine, and how the harmony between food and wine is an important aspect of French cuisine. When his friend, Mark, attempts on hitting at Eleanor, Remi's temper rises and he insists on leaving. The duo go to a coffee shop, and Remi realises that Eleanor might share his feelings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the saturday following the trip to the bar. Remi was particularly happy today and he planned on taking Eleanor to another road trip. There was a seafood festival going on in Belmar and this particular seafood festival had very fresh produce, all kinds of seafood concoctions one coud imagine.

It would be another road trip. 

Remi always made sure to to this seafood festival every year, though it was pretty crowded and had a bad stench that was tolerable. At least for him. The exhibition attracted a large crowd every year. Even if you're not a seafood person, this festival had something for everyone. It had stands selling fries, crepes, burgers, smoothies to beat the hot sun, arepas, baguettes, etc. There were even some stalls selling handicrafts and home accessories.

Remi put on his black slim fit jeans, and a white graphic tee with the Statue of Liberty drawn over it and 'NYC' in big letters. He picked up his phone and dialled Eleanor. If he was gonna buy some assortements, he would need a hand.

"Hello? Remi?" Eleanor's voice came from the other side of the phone. "Hi Eleanor. I'm off to the Belmar seafood festival. Will you please come along?" There was a silence, as Eleanor considered the offer. She had planned to go around the city, visit some museums and just have fun. "It's a yearly festival. Its absolutely amazing. I promise, it'll be worth it." Eleanor could hear him smiling wide, from eye to eye. She sighed, and said yes, and kept the phone.

She soon got a text. "I'll be there at Ten. Cya :)"

Eleanor was currently in her sweats, she had been working out by dancing. She made waffles that day for breakfast. French style. French desserts to her surprise, were all so light on the tongue, always carried a wonderful essence of fruits. She had learnt to make puff pastry, bread, dinner breads, eclairs, and Remi had also taught her chocolate dressing, ganache, fuzz, and numerous other things. They were all similar to the desserts she baked before, but they all used generous amounts of butter and cream. She always had these cravings, and if she got working, she would have no money left for all those luxorious items anymore.

Eleanor took a shower and put on a light sundress and brown sandals. It was almost ten. She picked up her phone and wallet and grabbed the keys. She locked the door and climed down the elevator. She had complained to the keeper about the nearly-broken elevator. 

There was not a bike in  sight. Eleanor shook her head in disapproval when she was alarmed by the honk of a red mustard, which hurried into the drive way. The car stopped with a halt and Remi lowered the window pane.

"Hey, gorgeous" He laughed and made a sarcastic face. Eleanor jumped into the seat next to him. He did not waste any more time, and backed out of the driveway and drove towards the main road. It was not that long a drive, maybe six kilometres or so, away. He switched on the radio and sang along with the music. She had no idea what the song was, or which genre it belonged to. She just admired the cityscape and relaxed in her seat.

It was nearly ten thirty. Remi pulled into the parking lot and both of tem got out of they car. They paid the parking fees and walked into the aisle which had banner across, displaying a logo with two small fish on a plate, and "BELMAR SEAFOOD FESTIVAL" in big, Italic letters. The entry was free and Eleanor was taken aback by the stench. "Whoa. What is that smell?" Remi laughed and said, "T-H-E  S-T-E-N-C-H, from hell." Eleanor made a cynical face and dismissed his poor attempt at humor.

There were so many stalls! And the place was so packed. Eleanor could not help but bump into a person every now and then. The oyester stalls attracted a huge crowd. There were even non Seafood vendors. They sold all sorts of junk food. There were coffee stalls, tea stalls, refreshments and drinks. Remi made his way into the thick crowd and Eleanor followed, their hands locked tightly. She loved the feel of his hand against hers. Like they were meant to be. 

Dear brain, get a grip!!

Remi bought oyesters, all sorts of fish, like Red snappers, mullets, parrot fish, some particular type of fish fillet and tuna.  Unfortunately, their hands were full, and the strategy was to keep each other in eyesight, in order to avoid getting lost in the sea of people.

"El, look there." Rei pointed to a stall with his hand full with black, polythene bags. 

"Alligator sausage?" My jaw dropped into a big 'O' "Whoa. Have you ever tasted this?" Eleanor asked Remi, and he just gave a sly smile. He hooked his pinky with hers, and pulled her towards the stall. He asked something to the vendor, which was out of her earshot. The vendor weighed a pund of what looked like big, burly, dark brown sausages. He packed them into a box and handed it over to Remi. 

"Okay then!" Remi smiled. "What do you wanna do? Play some games?" Eleanor was delighted that there were no more stalls to go to and vendors to bargain with. "Come on!" Remi pulled Eleanor close, and patted her back. As they walked along the tents, Remi ordered two hot dogs and they ate it away, merrily. It was half past noon, and Eleanor was famished. After they ate to their heart's content, Remi put all of the polythene bags at the side of a tent, with the small, bispectacled vendor, their trustee. Remi asked one of the bystanders for the direction, to what, Eleanor didn't know.

As they followed the man's directions, a small, yet scary looking Ferris wheel came into view. "Whoa, no, Remi!" Rei pulled her through the crowd and didnt pay any attention to Eleanor's refusal.
"You're scared? Of a ferris wheel?" He narrowed his eyes at her, standing right near the ticket counter. "Well, for one, I've never sat on one-" But she was cut off, "Never? Like Never Ever Ever? Never?" It was Eleanor's turn now, to narrow her eyes at him. "Oh come on. Don't be a prick." Remi laughed. Eleanor folded her hands across her chest and tapped her foot with impatience. "Hey, it'll be fun. You'll love it." With that, Remi bought two tickets and they joined the queue.

Eleanor could hear her heart beating fast. She never adored the rides. The ones that went up. And down. And swang left, right, in all possible directions, until all it's wrath was out and over. Twisting and writhing three dimensionally. 

The ride was five minutes long.

"Come on." Remi took her hand in his, and they took adjacent seats. As the ferris wheel started rotating slowly, Eleanor clutched the sides and tried to calm herself. Then the speed slowly went up, her seat rising in air due to apparent absence of gravity. "The centripital force is strong enough to keep you in place. Don't worry." Eleanor said to herself. Eleanor's eyes were shut tight.  "Eleanor!" Remi shouted, and Eleanor slowly opened her eyes in response. She fixed her gaze on Remi, who was looking right at her. He gave her his biggest smile. Eleanor smiled back. Eleanor felt happy deep inside her heart. More like safe. She gulped and let out a nervous giggle.

Their was a lot of woohooing, including Remi. The ride soon came to a halt and everybody slowly got off from their seats. They were all dizzy, and they all had to get out of the spinning commotion. Remi strided towards Eleanor and wrapped his arms around her, afraid she would fall. Eleanor recovered from her reverie and became conscious of his touch. Realising this, Remi freed her and simply smiled.

"It was great" Eleanor smiled before Remi could say anything/ or apologize for his relentless persuasion. They grabbed the polythene bags, paid their trustee, and walked back to the parking lot. Remi took all the stuff of Eleanor's hands, and put them in the back seat. He checked his watch and grimaced at the time it displayed. It was half past two! Too late. He was sure Eleanor would have been tired out. How will she be able to wait tables. Her shift started by the time they go back. He glanced at her. She was sitting completely relaxed, her head tiltted to the window side. Her face was peaceful and her eyes shut close.

Halfway through the journey, Eleanor revived from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes and switched on the radio and silently sang along with the music.

"One way, Or another, I'm gonna get ya, get ya, get ya, get ya!
One way, maybe next week..." 

Remi joined her in. After a few minutes, Eleanor clutched her chest and started breathing heavily. "Pull over.." She managed, and Remi immediately did so. It was a freeway. Remi got out and opened the Eleanor's door. He helped her to her feet when she immediately bent down on her knees and vomited.  Scared, Remi patted her back and runned his hand up and down her arms. After what seemed to be like a while, Eleanor stopped bawling, and Remi handed her a bottle of water. Eleanor rinsed her mouth and washed her face. Remi helped her bakc to her feet and sat her down.

"Are you okay?" Remi asked Eleanor nervously, and cupped her face. He tugged her hair behind her ears and pulled her close. She let him, and rested against his broad chest. She had no energy. She could hardly hear him. Her silence answered Remi's questions.

He got back to his seat and drove away.

Ten minutes later, Remi pulled into Eleanor's driveway and opened the door, yet again, for a very glum looking Eleanor. He asked her to freshen up. "You haven't eaten anything" Remi worried, and Eleanor mouthed H-O-T-D-O-G. "You puked that out. It doesn't count" Remi and Eleanor were sitting on the couch. The restaurant was up and running without Remi's supervision that day. 

"Okay, let's go to the restaurant, and get you something to eat. If you want, you could do your shift later." "Okay." Remi closed in on Eleanor, held her face in his hands and approached her lips. Eleanor couldn't resist herself. He's your boss, she cried internally, but dismissed it. Half a centimetre away, Remi thought. He finally kissed her slowly, before Eleanor pushed him off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------