Chapter Five - Photo Of Eleanor

Heeeeello people! ;)

I am back with a bang! You guys are gonna get regular updates from now! :D

So please stick to me. :)

A quick recap to refresh your memory.

I'm sure you guys would have forgotten the story due to my irregularities! But, do not fear angels! Regular updates from now! :)

QUICK RECAPITULATION: Eleanor Rosalynn Smith Carter was born and brought up in California. She ends up in New York where she gets a call centre job. She starts to fall in love with the city, but hates her life because of increased loneliness she has to undergo, and her job treats her equally bad. Joey is the spirited young boy living next doors, always hitting on her. Her sister leaves her daughter, Chloe behind as she and Luke, her husband finally pack up for a honeymoon. Eleanor grows to love Chloe more than before, and learns a lot about children. Fed up with work, she quits her job and becomes a waitress in a French restaurant. Turns out, the son of the owner is the same guy she has been fantasising about since their little clash in the airport. She gets a weekend shift of four hours. Her first day on the job :-

It was a Saturday afternoon.

Eleanor was sitting impatiently in the bus stop. Sitting beside her was Chloe. She didn't have her ballet practice that weekend, so Eleanor had decided to take her along. What else could she do? She glanced at her watch. It was fifteen to three. She had to reach Broadway street in fifteen minutes!

Finally, the bus pulled up. She got in with a hast and prayed to god she wouldn't be late for her first day. She was still working for Mobitel, but she was hoping to discontinue. She didn't think a waitress's salary could cover her expenses, so she would try to get another job for weekdays. Once Chloe went back home, she could start looking for another job.

She glanced at her watch again. It was exactly three. She had reached the restaurant in time. She opened the back door and led Chloe inside. She saw Fiona and Jenny standing behind the counter. "Pst! Am I late?" She hissed at them.

"Hi Eleanor! No, I don't think so!" Jenny smiled at Eleanor and directed her to his office.

"Hey! Sorry, but can you guys watch over her?" After their nodding, she went to his office. What was his name? Remi?

"Hello, there!" Remi greeted her with a smile as she entered the office. He opened up his cupboard and started looking for something inside. He then pulled a dusty packet with a dress inside. Oh, yes! All waitresses had dresses!

He marked something on the calendar and settled back into his seat. He shuffled out some papers from his draw and pulled out a sheet. He handed it to Chloe. It had the term and conditions and also her remuneration.

She quickly looked through it and when into the changing room. The dress fitted her, thank god. She came out of the changing room to see Rémi standing outside. His hands were slid into his pocket and his hair was gelled backwards. Anybody could say he was French.

"I just wanted to say that it's okay you brought your kid over." He flashed a smile at her. Rémi really was sweet!

"Thanks, sir."

"Call me Rémi."

"Uh, okay." Eleanor was surprised at his cuteness. He was not at all like a boss. He didn't act like one to anybody. And like the girls mentioned before, he wasn't the 'bad' or 'cold' boy types either. Eleanor looked at herself in he mirror and grimaced with amusement. To her opinion, she looked surprisingly good for a waitress. Eleanor knew she was pretty, but in a waitress's dress?

"Aunt Eleanor?" Chloe raced up to Eleanor and held her hands out.

"Hey sweetie. Listen to me carefully, okay? I need you to be a good girl and sit there with Fiona and Jenny, kay? Ask me if you need anything, and don't go roaming anywhere." Eleanor pointed towards the seats behind the reception counter. She realised that she had to keep an eye on Chloe when she was working.

"She your niece?" Rémi leaned in from behind Eleanor and asked her with a wide smile on his face. Eleanor simply nodded back and inwardly realised that everyone at the restaurant had mistaken Chloe to be her daughter. Why wouldn't they? Eleanor mentally rationalised, but smiled at the thought. She resumed her work when she finally snapped out of her thoughts.

It was ten minutes before the first weekend opening of the Petit Paris. Eleanor set all the tables and lined up the people at the entrance. There were already many people waiting outside. The restaurant was a fairly small one, but gorgeous in its own way. It was a huge hall with beige-ish white walls. At certain places, the walls were beautified with paintings of the vivacious and dainty streets of Paris. The floor was carpeted red, and the false ceiling was in the shape of the Eiffel Tower. It had small LED lights which seemed to be twinkling when switched on.

To one end of the hall was the reception with the entrance foyer. Behind the reception was the kitchen, with only transparent glass walls in between them which enabled the customers to look at the artists in action. On the other side of the hall was the buffet counter, open only on Sundays. The tables and chairs was neatly lined with red cloths and the shiny cutlery was laid out in careful precision to each other. The hall could seat a minimum of at least fifty people, give or take.

Rémi briefed the kitchen staff for the day before opening the doors to the impatient customers. Eleanor then, rushed to welcome all the customers in.

Her job was not an easy one - looking after the needs and desires of fifty customers at once, was not an easy task. Sure, there was Fiona and Jenny too, but still.

Four hours whizzed by, too fast for Eleanor's realisation, and she was really tired. She let out a sigh of relief as she let her hair loose which was neatly tied up into a bun until now. She looked towards the glass partition, when something peculiar caught her eye.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD WAS CHLOE DOING IN THERE?!?!

She took a deep breath and raced into the kitchen through the back doors. As she jarred the doors open, she earned quite a few curious stares. There she saw Chloe in Rémi's arms.

SCREWED FOR LIFE.

She scrunched up her nose nervously. "I am so sorry about her!" Eleanor threw her hands up in desparation.

"That's okay. I was just showing her around." Rémi turned around. Eleanor saw a cheerful Chloe in his arms. Rémi's blue eyes sparkled at Eleanor. Wait, what?! He let Chloe down and gave Eleanor a pat on her back. "You were good Eleanor. You've earned yourself a permanent place here."

Rémi simpered at Eleanor. And she smiled back at him.

There was an awkward silence that followed but Eleanor decided to break the awkwardness by taking leave. She turned around and scooped up Chloe into her arms and headed towards the back door.

"Wait! Eleanor!" Came in the voice of Rémi.

"What?"

"Nothing." He smiled.

_____________________________________

Did you guys like it? :)

Please vote, fan and comment my lovelies! :D

Next Update: 5th October. :D

and I think, Anne Hathaway is the perfect fit. :)