25. In Search of Susan Bones

Mulai dari awal

"And whatever problem he has with Voldemort wouldn't necessarily apply to the Shadow," added Hermione. "Especially if it was a personal reason. Maybe Voldemort killed someone Snape cared about and he wanted revenge."

"Or he got sick of the way Tom tortures his followers more than his enemies," suggested Harry.

"It could be anything," admitted Hermione, "but the point is that if Snape only had a personal grudge against Riddle then he'd have no such problem with the Shadow."

"But Dumbledore is too naïve to even consider that possibility," Harry huffed. "He always wants to believe the best of people, despite stacks of evidence against him."

"And that is his biggest weakness," concluded Hermione. "While that attitude might work for a religious leader trying to help someone change their ways, it is certainly inappropriate for a man with Dumbledore's positions. I mean, in the muggle world, no one with Snape's record would ever get a position as teacher in a public school. Even if muggle teachers aren't perfect, and some are even mean, none of them are known murderers, and even the meanest can't get away with blatantly bad behavior like Snape did."

Harry nodded. "They'd at least have to hide their favoritism and not publicly advertise it."

"And that's saying nothing about what damage Dumbledore's attitude has been doing in his position on the Wizengamot all these years. How many guilty people has he let go unpunished."

"He does care a lot more for the criminals than the victims," agreed Harry, thinking about how he knowingly let Malfoy walk around the school for a year with a Dark Mark, nearly killing both Katie Bell and Ron Weasley, Imperius'ing Rosmerta, eventually leading Death Eaters into the school, all because he wanted to 'turn Draco from the path of darkness.'

"And everyone completely trusts his flawed judgment."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

The next day, Dumbledore, as Harry, Hermione and Sirius knew he would, proved that he was still on Snape's side as he walked into the Diagon Alley shop known as The Troublemaker's Paradise, just as Terry Cochran, aka Sirius Black, was closing the door. He immediately reinforced his Occlumency shields when he noticed the visitor to his shop.

"May I help you?" he asked the man with purple robes, a pointy hat and a long white beard walked up to him. He kept in mind that he should not know the man's identity.

"Good day to you, sir," Albus replied with a twinkle in his eyes. "Are you by any chance the owner?"

"Yes, sir. Terry Cochran at your service. Whatever pranking needs you have, I'm sure I've got just the thing for you. However, we are just closing so..."

"Although your products are quite intriguing, I'm here on another matter. It's regarding your advertisement for a Potions master."

"Oh, yes. Are you interested in applying? Then come on in. Let me get you an application, Mr..."

The Headmaster's eyes widened slightly at not being recognized. "Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore. I don't believe you attended Hogwarts, but perhaps you've heard of me."

"Oh, yes," Sirius replied as he closed the door behind them, "I have heard of you. You're the headmaster of at that school. Now that you mentioned your name, I believe I've seen your chocolate frog card."

"Yes. Delightful sweets if I do say so myself. I'm not here because I personally desire the job you advertised; rather I'm representing someone else."

"Oh. If it's one of your students, I'm afraid I need a more experienced..."

"No, Mr. Cochran. The man I'm representing is a quite experienced Potions master. He even taught Potions at Hogwarts before he began brewing them independently to sell to many businesses."