'You little bitch!' Su Wu Chun said. He got off the floor. 'You dare push me? Look at what you did? You made my head bleed. Today I'm going to give you a beating you won't forget.'

'Stop!' Su Xiao Ya said. 'Didn't you say you want money? I'll give you all my money.'

Su Xiao Ya didn't know what else to do to protect Su Xiao Min. Su Xiao Ya handed over all her money in her bag to Su Wu Chun.

'Bitch, at least you know how to be reasonable,' Su Wu Chun said.

Su Wu Chun left to go gambling. Su Xiao Ya and Su Xiao Min held onto their trembling bodies.

Su Xiao Ya was scared Su Wu Chun would be back after he gambled all the money. She quickly packed hers and Su Xiao Min's clothes and she took Su Xiao Min to Qua Qua's house.

'Xiao Ya, did he hit you and Xiao Min again?' Qua Qua asked.

'Qua Qua...' Su Xiao Ya said.

'Why didn't you come here sooner?' Qua Qua asked. 'Xiao Ya, your thighs, your face.'

'I was clumsy,' Su Xiao Ya said.

'Xiao Ya...' Qua Qua said.

'Qua Qua, you don't have to say anything,' Su Xiao Ya said.

'Alright,' Qua Qua said. 'I'll go tidy up the guest room for you and Xiao Min.'

Su Xiao Ya wasn't ugly. She had beautiful eyes. If she spent money on herself to dress well, she would have looked decent.

Later Qua Qua came out of the guest room, Su Xiao Min was sleeping on the sofa next to Su Xiao Ya.

'Let me carry Xiao Min to the guest room,' Qua Qua said.

'I'll carry her,' Su Xiao Ya said.

'You should sleep,' Qua Qua said. 'You need to work tomorrow.'

Su Xiao Ya nodded her head. She wanted to ask Qua Qua to loan her money, but she knew Qua Qua was poor too.

In the morning, Su Xiao Ya wore a simple black work dress and she hid the bruise on her face with makeup. She ignored her leg pain and went to work at Yue's company.

At eleven in the morning, Su Xiao Ya knocked on Mr Chu's office door.

'Come in,' Mr Chu said.

Su Xiao Ya walked in and she sat opposite Mr Chu. Mr Chu thought Su Xiao Ya was the most diligent employee in the marketing department. He poured her a cup of tea and smiled warmly at her.

'Miss Su, if you need any help, you can ask me,' Mr Chu said.

'Mr Chu, I want to ask if I can receive my monthly salary in advance,' Su Xiao Ya said.

Mr Chu knew Su Xiao Ya must be in trouble, because Su Xiao Ya was a frugal employee.

'Miss Su, can you tell me why you need money in advance?' Mr Chu asked.

'Mr Chu, I'm sorry for troubling you,' Su Xiao Ya said.

Su Xiao Ya stood to leave.

'Wait,' Mr Chu said. He signed a cheque for Su Xiao Ya's one month salary. 'Miss Su, you know about Yue's company pay policy that employees aren't allowed to receive their monthly salary in advance. Take this as a loan from me. After you receive your monthly salary, you can pay me back.'

'Thank you Mr Chu,' Su Xiao Ya said. 'I promise I'll pay you back when I receive my monthly salary.'

'Miss Su, let me treat you lunch,' Mr Chu said.