Part 25

It was 2:30 am, Sonakshi tossed and turned in bed. As her delivery date was coming near, sleepless nights had become a usual thing. She turned towards Dev's side of the bed, but he was not there. She got out of bed and walked towards the dining room. The dining table was covered with files, paper, six coffee mugs and Dev sat on the chair sipping the seventh cup of coffee. 'Dev, aap abhi tak soe Nahi?raat ke dhai baje rahe hai' Sonakshi said in a sleepy voice. She pulled a chair and sat beside Dev. Dev scratched his forehead and said 'woh...Sonakshi, kal office mein ek bhaut important meeting hai' 'meeting? Kal?' She asked. 'Haa Sonakshi, Kal ek bhaut hi important meeting hai Mr. Lakhani ke saath aur....' Sonakshi did not let Dev complete.... 'lakin Dev, aap agar kal office chale Gaye aur mujhe hospital jana pada toh?' She asked. Sonakshi was already upset. Dev sensed that she was upset. He kept his hand on Sonakshi's and said 'I understand Sonakshi, but I can't help it. Yeh meeting bhaut zada important hai'. Sonakshi looked away. Dev came closer to her and cupped her cheeks 'Sonakshi, look at me.I promise you ki main kal jaldi se jaldi ghar aa jaunga. If you need anything. You can just call me. No matter how busy I am,I will answer your calls. Okay?' Sonakshi was not convinced. 'Sonakshi, bhaut late ho gaya hai. Ab chalo, go to sleep' 'aur aap?' She asked. Dev looked at his files and said, 'I will sleep in sometime'. He held Sonakshi's hand and helped her walk towards the bed.
It was 6 in the morning, Sonakshi woke up way too early. Dev on the other hand was peaceful sleeping on his stomach. She managed to get out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. After spending about half an hour in the bathroom, she got ready and walked towards the kitchen to grab some cereal for breakfast. She scrolled through her Instagram as she ate her breakfast. It was too early, she was bored but she did not bother to wake up dev as she knew he had not slept enough. She grabbed a note pad and began to write something. After spending about half an hour writing something, she walked into the bedroom and took out a suite case. She struggled to lift the suitcase. The commotion she caused disturbed Dev. Dev rubbed his eyes and woke up, he jumped out of bed as he saw Sonakshi struggling with the suitcase. 'Sonakshiii....what's wrong with you?' He snatched the suitcase from her and kept it on the floor. 'Kya kar rehi thi Tum?' He Asked. 'Dev, woh main...hospital ke lea packing kar rehi thi, hume kabhi bhi jana pad sakta hai....toh....' 'Sonakshi Mujhe utha lia hota, main nikal leta suitcase. Aur waise bhi, itni jaldi bhi kya thi? Baad mein kar leti yeh...you need rest, Sonakshi'.he said. 'Dev, I have rested enough, Maine socha thoda sa kaam karlu'. Dev face palmed as he knew how stubborn Sonakshi was. His sleep was long gone. 'Tum me breakfast kia?' He Asked. Sonakshi nodded. 'Theek hai, main breakfast kar leta hu, phir I will pack the bag'. They sat at the dining table. Dev served himself some breakfast while Sonakshi rechecked the list she made. This was the 5th time she was checking the list. Dev snatch the list from her and said ' Sonakshi ,can you please relax? Itni tension mat lo please'. She ran her fingers through her hair and said 'kaise nahi lu tension? Delivery date aane wali hai. Hum ne hospital Jane ke kuch preparations Nahi ki hai. Dev...aap ne sare reports toh acche se rakhe hai na....I mean...hume sab le kar Jane hai....' Dev stuffed a piece of apple in her mouth and said 'RELAX Mrs. Dixit. I will take care of everything. Tum bas araam karo'.
After spending sometime packing and getting ready with all the basic stuff that would be needed. Sonakshi was exhausted. 'Thak gai na?' Maine kaha tha ki kaam mat karo...accha, ab Tum araam karo and stop stressing about all of this. Okay?' He helped her get into bed. He put the blanket on her and kissed her forehead. 'Mujhe jana hoga ab. If there is anything you need, call me and if I don't answer, call Tina. Please take care and I love you'. 'I love you too Mr.Dixit, come back soon'.
Dev reached the basement and sat in the car. He kept his laptop on the passenger seat, adjusted his blazer and started the car. Just then his phone buzzed. 'Haa Tina ...bolo' Said Dev. 'Sir, aap nikal gaye? Mr. lakhani ne call kar ke bataya ki woh 10 minuets mein office pauch rahe hai'. 'Haa Tina, I will be in the office in sometime. Just make sure you offer something to Mr. Lakhani and his team until I come'.
****************************
As Dev left, Sonakshi began to feel uncomfortable. She felt some weird sensations in her body. She decided to go to the loo hoping to feel better. Just as she stood up,she felt wet between her legs and a sudden punch. She fell on the bed gasping. Her water broke. She managed to grab her phone and called Dev. Within a few rings he answered.
'Dev...where..are..you?' Dev sensed something wrong. 'I just left the building Sonakshi. Sab theek hai na?' He Asked. 'Dev...aa...aap jaldi se aa jao....my water broke. I need you...' she said as she struggled to breath. 'Oh shit' Dev exclaimed. He took a deep breath and continued 'Okay...okay... don't worry Sonakshi. Main bas aa raha hu. Just give me 5 minuets. Okay? Sab theek hoga. Just stay calm'.
Dev took a u-turn and rushed towards Sonakshi. He grew restless as each minute passed. He called up Tina. 'Hello tina, cancel the meeting. Sonakshi's water broke and I have to be with her...' He was interrupted by Tina 'lakin Sir...' 'just do as I say, Tina'. Yelled Dev.
****************************
Dev opening the door and rushed towards the bedroom.
'Dev....dev.....aaahhh....deeevvv' she cried in pain. He rushed towards her and caressed her forehead. 'It's fine, sab theek hai. We will reach the hospital in sometime time'. He said. Sonakshi felt a sigh of relief the moment she saw Dev in front of her. He called the watchman for help. Dev carried Sonakshi in his arms while the watchman carried the others belongings. Sonakshi legs trembled in pain. Dev tried his best comfort her. He made her sit in the car and rushed towards the hospital.
The hospital was a little far and the only thing dev could do was drive as fast as possible. Sonakshi shut her eyes in pain. Dev kept his handing the gear to change the gear. Sonakshi grabbed his hand tightly refusing to leave it. 'Bas kuch aur time Sonakshi, hum bas pauch rahe hai. Keep breathing'. 'Dev...I...I feel very uncomfortable'. She said. Dev felt helpless for a moment. He couldn't see his wife go through the pain even though he knew it was for good.
They somehow managed to reach the hospital fast. The ward boys got a stretcher and Sonakshi was rushed towards the emergency ward. Dr. Gupta was called to the emergency ward for delivery by the receptionist. Dev was restricted entry in the emergency ward. The stood outside the ward pacing. In between all of this chaos he for to inform everyone else. He called up Asha and Ishwari and asked them to reach the hospital as soon as possible. The nurse asked Dev to fill some formality forms. Dev sat on a chair to complete the formalities. A few minutes later, he saw Asha, Bijoy, Ishwari and mamaji rushing towards him. Coincidentally, all reached the hospital at the same time. Asha and Bijoy walked towards the nurse to know about Sonakshi, while Ishwari and mamaji sat beside Dev. 'Dev, bata Sab theek hai na? Sonakshi kaise hai?' Asked Ishwari. 'Theek hai Maa, abhi operation shuru ho gaya hai....' Mamaji saw Dev's fingers crossed and giggled 'Dev, itna Dar mar, Teri biwi theek hai'. Dev looked at him and gave him a smile. Asha sat on the bench and began to chant some prayers while Bijoy stood outside the operation theatre waiting for the good news.
A few hours had passed, there was complete silence. No body spoke a single word. Everyone was tensed and excited at the same time. A few minutes later, the door opened. Dr. Gupta and two nurse walked out. 'Mr.dixit' said the doctor. As Dev saw the doctor coming towards him, his heart began to race. 'Mr. Dixit. Congratulations, it's a girl. The operation was successful'. Dev stood there numb. He couldn't believe that his dream had finally come true. Asha and Ishwari began to jump out of excitement while mamaji and Bijoy walked towards Dev to give him a hug and get him back to reality. 'Ca...can I see her...I mean my baby and Sonakshi...' He Asked. Dr. Gupta patted his shoulder and said 'of course Mr. Dixit. We have shifted them to room number 203. You can see them there'. Dev ran towards room number 203 and everyone else followed him.
He entered the room and saw Sonakshi lay on the bed. She looked tired and pale, yet she had a bright smile on face as their baby slept beside her wrapped in a cloth. He walked towards Sonakshi and kissed her on the forehead. 'Congratulations Mrs. Sonakshi Bose Dixit' he said softly. 'Congratulations to you too Mr. Devrath Dixit'. Said Sonakshi in a hardly audible voice.
Dev saw his little world sleeping beside Sonakshi and walked towards her. He carefully lifted her in his arms. Dev burst into joy and awe, flooded with emotions. The tiny body,pinkish face, tiny nose was their angle. At that moment, Dev felt that he had conquered the world. Tears rolled down Sonakshi's cheeks as she saw her husband proudly holding their princess in his arms.
'Welcome to the world baby girl' Dev kissed her on her tiny forehead and wiped Sonakshi tears.

*****************************
This brings us to the end of the beautiful journey of devanshi's pregnancy.
This story will always hold a very special place in my heart as this was the first fan fiction I ever wrote.
I would like to thank each and everyone who liked my story and encouraged me to write more. Honestly, I would not continued the story if I would have not received your love.
This story made me feel connected to devakshi even after the show went off air.
I wish to write many more devakshi fan fictions in the future.
Do let me know what you felt about this update and the story overall.
Lots of love,
-Riya.