Chapter 25 - The Babyshower

Start from the beginning

           Dear, Isabelle

           We strongly disagree with in regards towards our son's child. Marie and I don't think you should have the child. You and Ryder are too young and have many years to reconsider children, and focus on your education and careers. Adoption isn't out of the question. You name a price and we can surely ensure you and Ryder are better off.
                                                                                         Sincerely, Mr. Callaghan

             I tore it. Their sick, I thought. How can he just throw his money at me and make me just give her away? A fraction of the feeling was hurt. What if I can't take care of her? What if Ryder and I are better off?

            My lungs began constricting. This, all of it, was just too much. My father, my half-sister, my daughter, my failing grades, my ex-boyfriend, are all things I never thought I'd have to deal with all at once. They were just boulders swinging and swaying over my head ready to come tumbling down and crush me.

          I opened the door. I looked down. Amity and Noah were sitting there and my mom directly in front of me, eyeing me down. I stepped over Amity's lap and past my mom to get downstairs. They were just watching me. Eyes followed me and I didn't care to notice any of them. I chucked the letter into the garbage.

          I don't know what it is about being dramatic that makes something more fulfilling, but that somehow calmed me a down a little bit. It was like closing a chapter and that one happens to be Ryder and his family.

         When I was finished, my father walks up to me, small, uneasy steps. What do you say to a man you just met? What can you say to this magical creature that only appeared in photos and dreams of having the perfect family?

          "Hey," I say. That's a good start, I guess. "Nice to meet."

           He smiled.

           I just thought I'd have to take this one slowly.

           As the words fell from my mouth, I began to notice the ones around me.

           Ryder.

           For a moment, I felt nothing. I just said his name in my head. What a dumb name?

           "Excuse me," I told my dad, passing him and Breanna.

           Before I make my way to Ryder, Amity and my mother seem a little too concerned to pay any attention to the heated discussion I was about to have with my ex.

            "I should have told you. I'm sorry," Amity says.

             At first, I thought my mother said it. She's the one who knew about my dad. But she must be talking about Ryder.

             "Telling me what?"

             "About your dad. I thought your mom was going to tell you before you met him. I just..." she starts out of breath.

             I give her no room to talk,"You knew? Both of you? And none of you told me. You just let me open the door and 'surprise it's your father that you have never met and his two other children'. How'd did you guys think I was going to react? I found out my friend is really my sister and my dad has been in the same city as me for months," I pause to wrap my head around it all, but my thoughts and my tongue went awol. "Oh, yeah, and Ryder. Why'd you bother coming? Did you hand deliver your father's letter?," I paused, but not for an answer.  "Well, you can tell him to keep his money. You don't have to be involved whatsoever. Or tell him I miscarried, honestly, I don't care," I cried.