6. Fond Farewell

The Potter house filled with the savoury aroma of a roast dinner. It had become a tradition in the family to cook up one last roast the night before the children would depart for Hogwarts--the final taste of home before the new term. 

Before their evening meal, the adults took the time together to catch up, sipping tea in the lounge. Drained from the quidditch match, they all wondered where the energy of their youth had gone. The kids, on the other hand, were just as lively as ever and ready for the new term to start. Huddled in the other room, they discussed their plans for the year and the expressed their desires for new adventures. 

"My timetable is so good this year," Lily told her cousins, "I've got back-to-back Care of Magical Creatures and Herbology on three days a week!"

"Well, of course it's easy for you, you don't need to worry about exams yet," Hugo moaned.

"Have you made a plan for revising everything yet?" Rose asked her brother. "It was a lifesaver for me last year." 

"Just make sure to slot in enough time for quidditch. This year is going to be the best year for the Gryffindor team. We'll win the cup, for sure." 

"And what makes you say that?" Lily questioned her eldest brother.

"Because I'm the captain of course!" James boasted.

Harry smiled, overhearing the children's conversations from across the hall. Fond memories of Hogwarts came flooding back to him and he wished he could feel the exhilaration of returning to school once more. While he was satisfied with his ministry job, nothing could compare to the times he spent roaming the corridors of Hogwarts, the nights by the fire in the Gryffindor common room, and the moments spent training on the quidditch pitch. Years may have passed since his last visit but Hogwarts would forever and always be his second home. 

 "Do you remember that time," Harry started, looking over to Ron, "when we were late to charms because Peeves was throwing Bertie Botts at students in the corridor?"

Ron rolled his eyes as if he could never forget that, "Nearly hit me in the eye! Boy, I'm sure ol' Pomfrey would have been thrilled to hear that one." 

Ginny shook her head with a chuckle, her eyes sparkling as she recalled the better years of her Hogwarts experience, "I think that poor lady saw enough of you during your time there. I'm shocked she still there to this day with all the mess she's had to deal with."

"Perhaps we should have given her a gift before we left. Sent her some flowers with a little card reading, "Sorry for all the trouble we've caused you. Please don't retire!" Ron suggested, prompting laughter from the others.

At the sound of the stove timer dinging, Ginny arose from the sofa in the lounge to check on the food in the kitchen. Taking out her wand, she gave it a wave and the oven door opened with a puff of heat as the steam and scrumptious scents of roast beef spread into the kitchen air. She guided the pan of beef through the air to the counter to rest, then grabbed the meat thermometer from a drawer to check that it was fully cooked. 

Ginny couldn't take all the credit for the delicious meal that awaited them. In fact, it was often Harry who did most of the cooking. Despite her mother's best efforts to teach her recipes and techniques, cooking never was never one of Ginny's strengths. On nights when Harry worked late, she could whip something simple up for her and the kids but some nights she was too stressed and tired from work to bother, which lead her to end up picking up food from one of the local takeaways instead. It may not have been as nice as her mother's homecooked meals growing up but it was still something. 

"Lily?" Ginny called out for her daughter, who quickly appeared in the doorway, "Will you please lay the table?" 

Obeying unhappily, Lily grumbled, "Why doesn't James have to do anything?"