4. Things That Go Unnoticed

There was a short rap on the door before the intruder burst in the room, not waiting for a response.

"What are you doing still in bed? It's quarter past noon!" Ginny complained as she entered her son's room, which was still cloaked in darkness and he laid in his pyjamas, his hair a tousled mess. She flicked her wand, opening the curtains. Sunlight streamed in, practically blinding Albus.

"Mum!" Albus groaned in annoyance, blinking and rubbing his burning eyes.

"Up, up!" She ordered, floating around the room, picking up any old glasses, plates, and empty crisp packages. "Your aunt and uncle will be here soon. I know it's the last day of summer holiday and you just want to rest, but you have to at least show your face to the family." 

"If they want to see my face, just show them a picture. It will last longer" He grumbled and was met with an unamused look. "Okay, okay! Just get out of my room." Albus waved her out. She raised her eyebrows at him, her free hand placed firmly on her hip. He sighed and added, "Please?"

"Be presentable and downstairs in ten minutes," She said as she left. Albus shut the door behind her, then begrudgingly made his way to his wardrobe. He pulled out a random pair of grey jeans and a black t-shirt. He threw them on, then ran a comb through his hair. It was only his family, he could care less if he looked good or not. Within minutes, he was in the lounge with the rest of his family, staring at the fireplace. 

"Well aren't you a rainbow of colours," Lily noted, her voice laced with sarcasm as she looked Albus up and down, unimpressed with his greyscale outfit. His outfit was the antithesis of hers, which consisted of a yellow blouse, and a floral skirt. Her bright red hair matched her sunny disposition just as Albus' black hair suited his. He ignored her, taking a place on the sofa.

Harry glanced at the clock above the mantle, "Hermione said they would be arriving at one," He said, watching the minute hand. With a slow tick, it fell on the 12 and there was a small rumbling.

There was a burst of ash and green flames, as figures began to emerge from the fireplace. Ron came through first, followed by Hugo, Rose, and finally Hermione. The room was filled with the sounds of friendly reunion. The two families exchanged greetings, hugs, and began to catch up with each other.

"It's so lovely to see you again. How have you been?" Hermione pulled Harry into a hug.

"So James, last year at Hogwarts, eh?" Ron asked the eldest Potter child.

"Hugo, I heard you're going out for Quidditch this year!" Ginny gave her ginger-haired nephew a proud pat on the back.

Albus remained sitting on the sofa in the corner, leaning his cheek on his fist, already wishing he was back in bed. The rest of the family went on chatting cheerfully, while Albus sat alone, examining the wallpaper in great detail. 

There was a sudden dip in the sofa cushion, surprising Albus. He looked over to see his cousin Rose, smiling brightly at him.

"Hi, Al! You alright?" She asked with a quirk of her head.

"Y-yeah, I'm alright. Thanks." He responded, surprised that she'd decided to talk to him. 

As children, they had been best friends despite their opposing personalities. Rose had always been outgoing and energetic, whereas Albus was more soft-spoken. But their closeness in age made them the perfect pair, playing games, making up stories, and engaging in lively conversations. But that all changed when they started at Hogwarts. They shared many of the same classes, but their houses divided them.

Albus remembered their first potions lesson in their first year. He walked into the cold dungeon classroom, looking around cautiously at all the various liquids, powders, and other ingredients that decorated the shelves.