Chapter 18

Chapter 18

    The people around the room were silent. All of them were waiting for my answer for Brandon’s question. I’m definitely not going to let Fritzy kiss Kent but what will I do? If I said no, all of them would think that I’m too selfish for only a kiss. If I said yes and pretend not to be selfish, my heart will just shatter into tiny little pieces. But wait, the choice doesn’t only depend on me but to the audience. If only someone would help me in the audience. 

    “So?” Brandon sounded impatient. “Is it ok, Carther?”

    “I thought it depends on the audience’s choice,” I faced the audience with hope in my eyes. “If they think it’s fine, well…” I didn’t finish my sentence because I can’t bring myself to say I’m also fine with the idea. 

    “Hmm, so guys what do you think? Let Kent kiss Fritzy or not?”

    Crossing my fingers I hope they will object to the idea. My hands were cold and sweaty. I kept on opening and closing them, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m still nervous of their answers. Suddenly, Bree and James stood up from their seats.

    “We’re not cool with the idea,” James shouted in his seat which made my heart feel a bit lighter. I mouthed thanks to the both of them. Looks like, they’ve made up. They just needed a little time together. Then few more seats screeched the floor and Kent’s friends stood up from their seats but their cheerleader girlfriends were seated down. They also didn’t agree with the idea. Hope filled my heart. Maybe Kent wouldn’t have to kiss Fritzy anymore, but disappointment replaced hope. Only Kent’s friends and James and Bree disagreed while the rest were fine with the idea. 

    “No,” I finally said, not looking at the audience. “No. I won’t let Kent kiss Fritzy. No.”

    Brandon sighed and patted my shoulder which I jerked it away from him. This is ridiculous, “Fine, we won’t let Kent kiss Frit—” My head jerked up to see why he’d stopped continuing his sentence to find out Fritzy had her lips on my boyfriend. My cheeks were fuming with anger. Hot tears were forming inside my eyes, but I didn’t let them fall. Blinking a lot of times, my tears stayed where they were supposed to stay. Kent pushed Fritzy gently away from him, but I was wishing he would push her harder. I walked down the stage. I didn’t care if everyone was looking at me or not. I just need to go out. 

    “Carther, wait up!” Kent called out but he was interrupted by Brandon. 

    “You should have a dance with Fritzy,” I heard Brandon insist.

    “But,” Kent yelled.

    “It’s just fast, man,” were the last words I heard from Brandon as I walked out the gym doors and to the school’s lawn.

The moon was shining in the night sky. The stars were doing their jobs, twinkling their very own little light. The wind was blowing my hair away from my shoulders and face leaving me shivering. I didn’t know if me shivering was a result from the anger inside me or the cold breeze. Inside, I was blaming myself for not replying “no” immediately to Brandon when he was asking me if it was ok. How could I be so damn stupid? 

    “It’s ok,” someone behind me whispered.

    “No,” my voice is shaking. “It’s not.” 

    “I’m sorry,” the voice said louder as it came closer and sat down beside me. “I’m sorry I couldn’t stop it.”

    “You couldn’t if you were given the chance to anyway,” I smiled but I think it didn’t even turn out to be a smile.