Chapter 6

Chapter 6

      Fruity scent filled the air. Flowers of different kinds and colors filled the surroundings. Trees, grasses and different kinds of plants flooded my sight. Bunnies, chipmunks, squirrels, and fawns are playing near the flowerbeds. Some squirrels storing nuts in their chestnut, brown cheeks which made them look even cuter. Soft fresh wind blew through my bed hair. It’s spring. I found a nice warm spot in a shade of an oak tree and decided to rest there until someone came closer and closer to me.

     “Hey,” the voice said. It was a guy’s voice, but I had a hard time seeing his face because of the sunlight, making him look like just a shadow. “Having fun here?”

    “Who are you?” I asked.

    “I asked you first,”

    “Sure I guess, it’s just that there is no one besides you, me, and the animals are here. It’s kind of a boring place, yet is peaceful. I can live my life here,” I answered. “Now, it’s your turn to answer my question.”

    “I won’t reveal myself to you for now,” he said. “But you’ll know soon enough.”

    “It’s not fair! I answered your ques—” I stopped because he brushed my cheek with his hand, a familiar touch. I touched his hand on my face but he pulled away eventually leaving me breathless.

    It’s half past six in the morning. My alarm went on. I realized that it was all just a dream. I punched down my alarm clock. I had a different feeling about my dream last night in among my previous dreams. This is a one of a kind dream. It felt so real especially the warm touch of the guy’s skin towards my cheek. I shook my head hard and got ready for school. Today’s the day my mom will be leaving for Australia.

    Inside my bathroom, I locked the door just to be safe. As I raise my arm to get my toothpaste, I dropped it, shocked. Something caught my attention that caused my whole body to stiffen. My wrist. My left wrist. It has a tattoo all around it. This had never been my plan. Getting a tattoo was definitely out of my future. I had never wanted to vandalize my God-given body. What I just don’t get is how did it get there without me knowing? Rewinding back to the events yesterday, I remembered the warm sensation I felt when I was with Kent. But my wrist had nothing to do with my feelings with him, hadn’t it? When I was with Zach, he had sudden mood swings. Maybe he got something to do with this. No, Zach won’t ever do that to me. He’s my best friend.

    Blinking my eyes quickly to hold back the tears from forming, putting both my index finger and my thumb to my temples, I massaged them. “C’mon Carther, think! Think! Who or what could’ve done this to you?” That’s when it hit me. Mr. Gates. The envelope. The electrical energy. Quick disappearance for an old man. When he handed me the envelope, I felt unusual. Sure, I was excited and nervous, but the feeling was different as if shocking me. The time when I was about to thank him, he vanished from thin air. 

   Shaking my head furiously, I picked up the innocent toothpaste that had been dropped down into the sink and brushed my teeth quickly. My cell beeped my message tone in my bedroom. Too lazy to read it, I ignored it. Hopping over to my shower, I let the hot water travel down my body. I even tried removing my tattoo hoping it was just temporary not permanent, but it was no use. It was still there. Just about thirty minutes, I have finished bathing. I went to my closet and picked myself the long cardigan Bree had bought me as my birthday present last year, to cover up my weirdly beautiful tattoo and a short sleeved turtle neck shirt. Black tights and ankle boots went along. 

    I let out a heavy sigh as I can’t get over this thing around my wrist. My cell beeped again. This time, it was reminding me that I had an unread text message. It was from Bree. She told me she got a part time job in Quench n' Munch Deli. It was just opened a few weeks ago. I hear they mostly sell beverages like teas and lattes. That shop could be my next favorite place to chill next to the bookstore I loved since I came here in New York. It just takes a ten minute walk to get there. Quench n' Munch Deli is a few more blocks away from the bookstore. I texted Bree, congratulations. Then I clicked the lock button on my iPhone.