Chapter 9

Chapter 9

    Turning on all the lights of the house, I felt much better without Mom at home. I cooked myself dinner and ate silently. Every room in the house was so much brighter, and I feel happier. After I had my dinner, I washed the dishes humming a tune inside my brain that came from the CD of Kent. It was a peaceful tune that reminds me of home in Minnesota. While I was washing the dishes, I can’t help but notice the tattoo around my wrist. It was attractive in a way. I like it. 

    I went to my bedroom and changed into my last night’s pajamas. It’s still clean anyway. I tied my hair into a ponytail and went back down the dining room to do my assignments. Luckily, everything seems to be so easy. So I finished everything easily. Rubbing my eyes, I looked at our digital clock and it’s already eight. I decided to watch television.

    The cooking show was over so I switched to the news. Car accidents and burning houses were featured. One part of the news that caused my body to shiver was a girl found unaffected while her boyfriend maybe, had few cuts from a severe car accident. Their faces were not featured but reporters were shooting questions to the guy with her like “How did you survive this accident?” “With this accident, how can you still have few cuts?” “Why are you the only one affected when your girlfriend is not?” The guy just kept on answering that they were just lucky. The reporters also questioned the girl, but she stayed quiet the whole time. The guy defended her by saying that she must have a trauma from the accident. But the three of us knew that we’re just keeping the secret. I wonder if they were in love. I wonder if they were really a couple or they just acted it out because of the duties entrusted to them. 

    My ringtone interrupted the quiet house that made my heart scream for a second. I picked up my iPhone beside me and saw the caller ID. Kent!

   “Hello?” I answered.

    “Hey,” his voice was calm. “You saw the news?”

    “Yeah,” I can feel my heart pounding fast again. “A Guardiana right?”

    “No doubt,” he said. 

    “Did you just call for that?”

    “Actually, I just wanna hear your voice,” I heard him smile.

    “Ha ha ha! Very funny,” I said sarcastically.

    “I already miss you,”

    I curled my lips and looked up. “Yeah, me too!”

    Silence. 

    “Did you do your homework already?” I asked him, hating the silence between us.

    “Yeah,” he said then laughed. “Bet you already did yours.”

    “Got that right!” I smiled.

    “So, how’s life without Mom?”

    “Lonely and silent,” 

   “Want me to drop by?”

    “Are you even allowed?”

    “Come on! Gramps doesn’t mind.”

    “What about Porscha?” I wanted to kick myself for saying that. I really wanted him to come but I know it’s for his own good that he should have discipline first. 

    “Fine, I’ll go ask. Wait for me,”

    “Okay,” I said, my voice kind of happy. Then I heard someone ringing our doorbell. Getting up from our couch, I went to our door. I peeped through the hole. Auntie Abby and Zach were at the front porch. Just then I heard Kent’s voice back at my phone.