Chapter 16

Chapter 16

  Before you know it, prom will be held tomorrow. Everyone has been submitting votes for who’s going to be the prom king and prom queen. Kent was a sure win. Bree told me that a lot of people have been voting for Fritzie for prom queen. And it was all because Fritzie bribed everyone to vote for her. Money was not her problem because her parents are rich. Today, everyone wasn’t paying any attention to the lessons in class. As far as I know, I think I’m the only one who’s just paying attention. It’s just prom, right?

  At the end of the day, I planned to not meet Kent because I have a special agenda with Bree. We’re going to buy ourselves our prom dresses. We went from department store to department store but nothing seems to suit Bree’s taste. Finally, we went to a small boutique named Colorful Ensembles that sells a lot of cute prom dresses. When I was a kid, I used to admire their dresses. I’d always imagine myself wearing their clothes and imagine myself as a princess. Bree’s eyes were shining as she spotted her perfect dress. It was a red low-back gown. Indeed, it was a daring dress.

  When it came to my choice, I needed Bree’s help. She was a better fashionista than me. She was scanning dresses while I was scanning through the prices. The pretty ones are expensive while the not so pretty ones were a little less expensive. Why is life so unfair? The saleslady saw my eyes widened but she also understood that we’re going to a prom so she told me secretly that she’d give us a discount. I was very thankful to her and told her I’d pay her back somehow. She told me that she once had a dream to get a dress she wants for prom but couldn’t get it because her parents didn’t allow her to. So she wanted to fulfill our dreams so we won’t regret it in the end. 

  Bree came shouting from the other side while the saleslady and I were having our conversation. She was holding out a floor-length gown. Its color is the same as a mint. It gives you a fresh feeling. The gown had sleeves but they’re supposed to fall on my arms. She said it suits my hourglass figure but the saleslady examined my body and suggested one. She said it was perfect for me. As she was rummaging for my dress, Bree pouted. She told me she was a little hurt because the old lady had to question her fashion sense. I gave her a hug and told her it’s ok. 

  The old saleslady came out with an expensive-looking dress. It was turquoise colored and strapless high low flowy dress. Studded beads only covered the upper part of the belly button. Apart from that, it was just a simple dress but it was also elegant in a way. The saleslady led us to her dressing room and let us try our own dresses. Inside my own cubicle, I slowly slipped on the dress then accidentally hit myself on my cheek then it suddenly reminded me of the scar I had there. Good thing it grew into a new skin. My cheek is now soft, smooth, and spotless. When I was about to zip the back part, I called out for help. The saleslady helped me zip it and it fits! Spinning around, I admired it for its beauty but when I checked the price tag, the price was also admirable. Six hundred fifty dollars! Are you kidding me? I'm really hoping that the saleslady mentioning about giving me a discount was true because there is no way I could purchase that.  

  Bree came out from her dressing room and she looked stunning with her gown. She looks like a model from a magazine. The saleslady seemed to like the dress on her since she smiled at it. She also did the same to mine though. Bree glanced at my side then suddenly her mouth was wide open.

  “Girl, trust me. You should get that. It makes your legs stand out,” Bree exclaimed. “You look like a goddess.”

  “Bree,” I pouted. “Don’t exaggerate. Please.”

  “I’m not, ask her,” she pointed at the saleslady who was still smiling. 

  The saleslady nodded approvingly. Come to think of it, the dress was really really beautiful. It is also true that Bree said it makes my legs stand out even more. “Look, I love the dress but…”