Chapter 12

A/N – Hey Y’all! Sorry it took so long for an update, life is sooo crazy right now. I’m going to start doing shorter chapters that way I can update more often! I hope that's okay?

After boarding the jet I briefly conduct introductions. Sydney already knows most of us, it’s only Adrian, Mikhail, and Eddie that are new faces. She stays close to Dimitri and I. I know she doesn’t like our kind, but her and I have an understanding. I would almost call us friends, if that were possible.

She’s an alchemist. They’re humans that know about our world - Moroi, Dhampirs, and Strigoi. We use them to clean up our messes in the human world. Disgust and hatred for our kind is etched into their brain from birth, much like ‘they come first’ is burned into dhampirs.

I met her in Russia, during my quest to kill the love of my life. Luckily I didn’t succeed. Looking at Dimitri I smile and he wraps an arm around me with a slight squeeze. Little jolts of electricity prickle my skin and I can’t help but wrap my arms around him too.

“I see you two finally stopped being so stubborn.” Sydney says with a smirk. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, but then I quickly remember she was captured when Dimitri and I finally gave in to each other.

“Yup. He finally realized he needs me.” I say, as a wide and mischievous grin spreads across my face.

“Good. Watching you two together…you were so distant…and…knowing what you had…” Sydney trails off, turning around to take the front row seat. I look to Dimitri, he gives me a small smile and kisses my forehead.

“I’m going to go in the back and rest.” He whispers in my ear.

“Okay. I’m going to catch up with Sydney.” I give him a small kiss before we part ways.

I take note on where everyone’s seated, in case of an emergency. Joshua, Angeline, and Eddie all have their own row, but sit near the front. Sonya and Mikhail are together, a little further back. Adrian and Christian have their own seats and are near the back. Dimitri is in the rear. I smile and sit next to Sydney.

“Everything you said is true, isn’t it?” Sydney says in a low voice, catching me off guard.

“Said about what?” I whisper.

“You and Dimitri. The stories you told his family in Russia.” She says. “Your love was real.” I look into her eyes, her face void of expression. I slowly nod trying to understand the meaning behind her words.

“You didn’t think creatures of the night could have a love so strong.” I state as I shrug my shoulders.

“In West Virginia, you two were so distant. He…he was so…standoffish.” She says, choosing her words carefully. “I didn’t know him before, but from how you described him, I expected something different.

“Oh. Yeah. He…uhh…” I trip over my words. How do I describe Dimitri’s inner battle with himself?

“I know. I get it.” She says. Looking down at her hands, she’s playing with the hem of her shirt. “Remember I rode alone with him to make…that…phone call.”

“Right. When he went all Strigoi.” I smirk and wave my fingers in the air.

“Yeah.” She giggles. “He really is a scary creature of the night when he wants to be.” I see a spark in her eyes.

“You like him, don’t you?” I ask. Her face growing grave, her smile drops to a flat line. “Oh no, not like that. I mean, you like him like you like me.” I clarify.

“Yes. You two are different. I wouldn’t exactly call you friends, but,” her eyes look up, knitted in concentration, “and I wouldn’t say I trust you, but I will sleep in the same room as you.” I smile at her words. I know that is hard for her to say. “The others,” she continues, nonchalantly waving in the air, “not so much.” I snicker.

“You haven’t mentioned it yet, hmm, did Abe say how Dimitri’s family is?” I ask.

“Hey Rose.” I turn to see Christian standing behind me in the aisle with a grim look on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I ask. His worried stare burns into my eyes.

“Dimitri needs you.” He quietly says, shifting his weight looking uncomfortable.

I turn toward the back of the jet and see Adrian standing over Dimitri. I stand and cautiously walk toward the rear. Everyone’s watching me with wide eyes. When I reach Mikhail I see Sonja sleeping on his shoulder.

He gives me a small, sad smile. Then I hear it, Dimitri’s voice as it cuts through the silence. My heart sinks. No one should witness this, this is private and personal.

I turn around and glare at everyone behind me, letting them know there is nothing to see. This is not a freak show to be discussed as gossip. Mikhail places his hand on mine giving it a slight squeeze.

The small gesture gives me comfort and hope. Hope that one day Dimitri will be free of the memories that haunt his dreams. As I walk closer Adrian steps in front of me.

“What’s wrong with him?” He asks in a low, worried tone.

“Nothing!” I snap, glaring at him.

“I tried to wake him up,” he says running his hand through his hair, “but he won’t budge.”

“I know. It’s fine.” I say, taking a deep breath. “Just leave it alone, okay?”

Surprisingly he gives a quaint nod and sits down. But I see it before he closes his eyes. He’s concerned. I find that humorous since Dimitri isn’t now and never has been his favorite person. My heart tightens as I smile down upon Adrian, I’m grateful for his friendship.

Then I hear Dimitri’s voice again, full of anger and pain. I rush to his side, curling up on his lap, I sing lullaby’s in a soothing tone. Caressing his cheek and jaw line I feel his body begin to relax. I reach down and gently pry his hands off the armrest and wrap them around my waist. I lay my head on his shoulder and play with his hair as I continue whispering sweet nothings in his ear. His arms tighten around me, pulling me closer.

“Roza…” He whimpers as a tear runs down his cheek.

A/N - Did you like or love this chapter? I hope you did! If you'd like to show encouragement and support simply turn that little STAR gold! Also, if you have anything to say – suggestions, observations, or guesses on what will happen next – I’d love to hear from you! Thanks so much and have a wonderful day! ϑ