Chapter 2

I push aside all my emotions from earlier as I get ready for the day. Looking in the mirror I know Lissa will worry about me. What can I say? What should I tell her? I walk into the kitchen ready for breakfast and find her with Adrian. So much for pushing down my emotions. One look at him and a tear wells up in my eye. I quickly blink it away as I approach, hopefully no one noticed. Yet he did, he’s watching me. What does he see? The color of my aura use to fascinate him, but now that I’m no longer shadow kissed, I wonder what my true aura shows? When I’m a few feet away from them I put on the best smile I can muster.

 “Good morning, my Queen.” I say slightly bowing to Lissa and giving her one of my mischievous grins. Her eyes widen, staring at me in confusion and disbelief. 

“Good morning, Adr…er, Lord Ivashkov.” Our eyes meet and I feel the heat under his scrutiny. 

“Guardian Hathaway.” I wince at the coolness of his voice. It’s Lissa who spoke next. 

“Rose what’s wrong? Are you okay?” 

“I’m fine. Never better.” I lie. She stares at me in disbelief.

“It looks like you've been crying.” She persists. “I heard Dimitri came to see you last night,” her voice trails off. I glance at Adrian not wanting to talk about Dimitri in front of him. I don’t want to hurt him any more than I already have. “Did he do something to upset you?”  

“No.” I cross my arms in front of me and roll my eyes. We’re interrupted by a servant I've never met. Lissa is needed to review a few documents.  

“This conversation isn't over.” She says as she exits the room. I turn and glance toward Adrian, half expecting him to excuse himself too. 

“Adrian,” I say.

“Don’t. Just don’t.” he cuts me off.

“I’m so sorry.” I say. He stares at me for a while without saying anything. His stern look bores into my head. Tears threaten my eyes under his scrutiny. 

“Exactly what are you sorry for?” He finally asks. 

“Everything.” I say. A deep, billowy dark laugh escapes his lips.

“Everything?” He asks. “You always take the easy way out, don’t you…”

“What do you want me to say?” 

“You know exactly why you’re sorry. For using me, lying to me, cheating on me. Take your pick.” He retorts. 

“Adrian, I never used you or lied to you. I did cheat on you and I am very sorry about that. I really did love you, I still do, just not in that way. Not how I love Dimitri. I tried. You know I did. I really wanted us to work out.” He tries to interrupt me. “Stop, I need to say this. I wasn't over Dimitri yet. It was too soon. My time with him as a Strigoi still haunted me. His memory still lingered in my heart. I tried to get over him, making new memories with you. And who knows it may have worked with time. But then Lissa saved him and…” 

“I know the rest. Auras don’t lie. I knew how you two felt about each other, even when you wouldn't admit it.” He says. “I knew what would happen when you two were alone together.”

“Then why did you support the idea?” I ask. 

“What other choice did I have? You’d be tried and executed.” His eyes soften. “I hoped your stubbornness would be enough to keep you two apart.” My eyes squint in question. “You were pretty upset with him our last night together.” I blush. 

“How do you know?”

“Little dhampir,” He muses, his lips curling into a smirk. “There isn't much I don’t know.”