Chapter 12

Three days before the battle, Carlisle's friends from Egypt arrived. I was immediately fascinated by them. Benjamin was able to manipulate fire, though not as completely as Keahi was capable of.  What made the Egyptian special was the fact that he was able to control other elements as well.  Tia grinned at me as her mate parted the river for his onlookers, who all applauded in response. 

The Amazons were also incredibly interesting, and Zafrina often asked questions about my ability. 

"To know one's past is to know one's future." She said with a slight air of caution.

All of us tried our best to remain positive and confident in the days before the battle.  There were constant practice fights and hunting competitions among the vegetarians of the group, and those who did not bring their own transportation were lent vehicles from the Cullen's garage. 

The wolves didn't mind us, since the last time this had happened the packs had bonded with the Cullen clan more than they had imagined could be possible.  However, only the Clearwater's, Jacob, and young Clara ever lingered around the camp for longer than a few minutes. We all understood. We didn't like their scent anymore than they liked ours.

Renesmee and Jacob were disgustingly adorable with each other. Everyone tried not to think about it too much. Hell, last time most of the guests had seen Renesmee she had been the size of a toddler, and Jacob hadn't changed in the slightest.

I watched as Emmet and Jasper fought, taunting each other and trying to get the other to make a mistake. Bella came to sit beside me and Alice, who was already seated on my other side.

"Why now?" She asked suddenly.

I glanced at the brunette, "What do you mean?"

"You have been one of us even longer than Jasper has.  Alice says they're coming because of your gift, but why couldn't they have come after you directly?  Before you found us?"

"Bella!" Alice chastised, "She's one of us now."

"Alice that isn't what I meant.  I just mean-"

"I know what you mean." I interrupted gently, "and you're right.  I suppose it doesn't really make sense.  It would have been easier to come for me while I was alone."

Rosalie joined us on the ground, hearing our conversation from the tree line, "Maybe it's just simple.  Maybe he feels as though our family is growing too strong."

"Maybe," Alice agreed, "He could have gotten word of your decision to join us and decided that the Cullen's had gone too far.  Edward said he saw his mind.  He wanted Edward and I at his side.  I already told you my theory of having you complete the set."

I nodded, "It makes sense, but I never let him touch me, nor did I mention my gifts when we met all those years ago." I furrowed my brow, "How did he find out?"

"I'm afraid I may be to blame for that, Sarah." Eleazar said, taking a seat next to Rosalie.  Carmen was quick to shadow him to the forest floor.

"How?" I asked.

He glanced at me, "I was still with the Volturi at the time.  I thought you looked familiar, but you looked very different then."

"Dirty and wearing a torn dress." I agreed, ignoring Alice's feigned shudder from beside me.

"I don't suppose you would remember me.  I stayed near the back of the group, but I made sure to get a read on you." He finished, "Aro learned of your gift from me."

"You didn't know what the future would hold," I said gently, "I'm just glad we know how it happened."

Bella nodded in agreement, "Still though, why now? Surely he knows we have allies.  He has to know that we've been anticipating this."

Carlisle came to my side, and the circle moved to let him join, "Perhaps they have been preparing too.  We've spent all this time gathering allies, and haven't considered that Aro may be doing the same."

More of the group had begun to make their way toward the circle as they heard the conversation taking place.

The circle expanded with every sentence.

"They won't take kindly to us." Garret said, "Since we stood against them last time."

"They'll only take the most gifted of us.  They won't spare the rest." Kate added grimly.

"If Chelsea's gifts have grown it may be harder to resist their offer." Esme spoke softly.

Tanya rested a hand on her shoulder, "We are strong.  And we have Bella."

Bella nodded once again, casting a small smile at the blonde, "My gifts have grown as well.  I won't let them hurt the people I love."

"Either way," Jonah added, "If it comes to a fight we have many talented individuals fighting with us- some of whom they don't even know about.  They would be foolish to underestimate us."

"You're right.  But it's foolish to underestimate them too." Jasper said as he sat behind me, his hand reaching up to caress mine, "They know the kind of power we have on our side.  It makes me wonder-"

"What kind of power they have to match it." Edward finished.

We were all silent as we contemplated this.

"Eleazar," I began, "What did you see in me when you read me the first time?"

"I saw that your gift was to see the past of whatever you choose with a single touch."

"Then they don't know that I can read from a distance?" I asked.

"No, you have grown much since then."  He grinned at me, sensing my idea.

"Blackmail?" Edward said incredulously, "How will that help in a fight?"

"It won't." I answered, "Not in a fight.  But it might help to prevent one."

"She's right." Carlisle said, "The Volturi certainly do have secrets.  I wonder how many of them would cause their empire to crumble."