Chapter 4.

Carlisle eventually suggested we take the conversation inside.  The wolves didn't stay, except for Jacob, who immediately began raiding the Cullens' stocked fridge.

"So," Emmett questioned as I sat down at their dining room table, "How old are you?"

I laughed at the innocent question, "173 in total, 155 years a vampire."

Carlisle nodded thoughtfully, "You were eighteen when you were changed."

"Yes." I affirmed simply.

"What happened?" Rosalie spoke up for the first time.

"Rose," Esme chided.

"No, it's alright." It was true. I didn't have much of a problem talking about my past. Before I got to tell my story, however, Carlisle interrupted.

"Would you mind waiting to tell us your story until the rest of my family return? It would save you some time." He requested.

I smiled at him, "Of course. You're right."

We sat in silence for a few moments until Jacob joined us, arms (and mouth) filled to the brim with food.

"So," he began, almost unintelligibly, "What's this retro-cog-whatever you were talking about?"

I chuckled at the wolf-man, "Retrocognition." I clarify, "It's the ability to see into the past. I can read anyone's or anything's past I wish."

"Have you read mine?"

"Absolutely not." I shake my head, "I don't read people without their permission. That's like reading a diary. It's private."

"Will you read mine?" Carlisle speaks quietly.

I tilt my head in slight confusion and he continues, "It's been a long time since I was human. There are thing's I would like to be more clear on."

My hand reaches out in offering, and he places his own hand on top of mine. I focus, and let his story spill from my mouth.

"You were a pastor's son, that's something we have in common. You were the leader of a mob, whose sole purpose was to hunt the creatures you believed to be vampires.  You didn't know, Carlisle." I paused when he nodded, the mention of the burnings causing him to flinch. 

I continued, "When you found the real ones, you were the first to be bitten, and the only one to survive.  I don't know how you managed it, to stay so silent for so long.  It only took around a day for me to change," My brow furrowed as more images flooded my mind, "Do you want me to keep going?"

"No." He said after a moment, "Thank you."

"Me next." Emmet spoke, grinning.

And so I went around the table, reading their pasts.  Emmet made sure to focus really really hard on some of the...human pleasures...he experienced. 

Rosalie was the exception, saying that she remembered everything too clearly as it was.  I didn't push.

I always stopped myself just after they were changed.

Jacob was disappointed for some reason when I saw his past with ease.  He pulled away quickly, saying he just wanted to see if I could do it.  Apparently, Alice was unable to see the wolves.

I was in the middle of smiling with Esme as I reminded her of a beautiful blue dress she owned when she was sixteen, when I heard the approach of another vampire.

He entered the house and immediately turned to stare at me, an odd look of recognition on his features. 

I fidgeted in my seat for a minute, uncomfortable as he stared at me, "Um... Hi, I'm-"

"Sarah," he finished with me, "I'm Edward."

Carlisle started to explain, "Edward has the ability to read the minds of the people around him."

I nodded in understanding, "Right.  Okay.  So, why are you still staring at me?"

He moves over to stand behind Bella, a hand on her shoulder, "I...apologize.  It's just that I know your face.  My brother knows you, but he never dwells on you.  You cause him pain."

Straightening, I notice all of the faces in the room are mirroring each-other, "Pain? I don't remember causing anyone pain..."

I wrack my brain, attempting to remember a time when I met another golden-eyed vampire.  Finding nothing I turn back to Edward, "Your brother, he isn't with you?"

"He's on his way.  I finished feeding before he did.  He's very close.  I can hear his thoughts."

He was right, shortly after his statement I could hear the approach of the mysterious Cullen who apparently knows me.  If I had a heart, I'm sure it would have been racing. 

There was a thump as we heard him cross the creek, and he slowed, pausing on the steps.  No doubt he had caught my scent.  I heard him inhale, slowly turning the knob.

Edward watched me warily, glancing between me and the direction of his brother.

I could tell by the heavy footsteps, and the rhythm of his gait that the last Cullen boy had military background, and I turned away from the door.  Deciding not to be staring when he walked in.

His footsteps stilled, finally in the same room as the rest of his family.

"Who is this?" Said an agonizingly familiar voice.

A voice with an obvious Southern drawl, Texan I was sure.  A voice so specific, it couldn't exist.
A voice I never thought I would hear again.

Impossible.

I straightened, "No, No, no, no, no," I thought.

Edward glanced at me, and I met his eyes, pleading with him to tell me it wasn't true.

"Please, not him."

He stared at me, giving me a slight nod.

"But he didn't deserve this." I argued back.

"I'm sorry." Edward said aloud.

The room went silent, the man I thought long dead still in his spot behind me.

I rose from my seat, turning slowly to look at him.

He straightened, as though he was electrocuted, a gasp tearing its way into his lungs.  His voice was choked when he spoke,

"Sarah?"

I couldn't move, I was too busy studying him.  If I thought he was handsome before, he was god-like now.  His honey colored hair perfectly framing his face, his build lean, but muscular, and his skin.  It was the color of ivory.

But that isn't why I stared. 

The scars adorning his body were crescent shaped and distinct.  They were an even whiter shade than the rest of his skin, and they crawled up his arms, his neck, and even his jaw.

My voice was shaken as I replied.

"Jasper?"