Chapter 5.

"...How?"

My eyebrow raised at the seemingly obvious question.

"Well, Jasper, I assume you already know the answer to that." I stated dumbly, still staring at his face.

We seemed to mirror each-other, memorizing each other's features as though worried the other would disappear.

"Yes, Sarah," he said with slight annoyance, "but how? I went back to see you for Christmastime. They said you were missing."

"I was taken toward the end of July," my eyes still studied his as he took in the new situation, "My parents?"

"Devastated," was his reply, "So was I."

There was a moment of silence as I tried to decide where to begin. Edward was the one to break it, when Jasper caught his eye.

"Let's give them some time." He suggested quietly, the others nodding slightly in agreement.

I took a deep breath when the movement in the room broke my trance, "Don't go too far. You'll want to hear this too."

Carlisle's hand was placed gently on my shoulder. He squeezed it in comfort, "We'll just be in the next room."

I nodded, watching as his hand went from my shoulder to Jasper's, this gesture was different. It was protective; like Father and Son. A pleased smile decorated my features.

When they had exited, I sat back down and gestured for Jasper to do the same.

He looked at me oddly, shock still evident on his features. I assumed he was waiting for me to begin, so I did.

My hands under the table, fidgeting with the ring that meant so much to me, I began my story.

"Do you remember the first time we met, Jasper?" I smiled fondly at the memory, choosing to start on a happy note. My grin grew as he nodded, his lips turning up in a faint mimic of my own.

"You were very forward for an honorable young lady." He replied, one eyebrow raising.

"Do you remember all of the trouble you got me into? Keeping me out at all hours of the night? You never got in trouble, always talked your way out of punishment. I got a full length sermon on disobedience every time I went home." I chuckled lightly, my father's preaching voice bubbling to the top of my memory.

Jasper seemed to relax, his back against the chair, and shaking his head in amusement despite the situation.

"I was embroidering one of his handkerchiefs that day. It was 1862. Christmas was a ways away but father loved it when I embroidered for him, and I was going to embroider a whole set of kerchiefs. I figured I ought to start early," I paused, my mood slipped into one of annoyance, "He found me then. I was alone in one of the wheat fields. There was this flash of color, and a pain on my forearm. He brought me to this old shed, and about a day later I was this." I said gesturing to myself.

"Why?"

Jasper's question was a whisper, and I tried to discern the strange emotion in his eyes. Fear was there, but other feelings were evident.

"He said he wanted to feed without fear of others," I said, and Jasper straightened again, suddenly stiff with anger, "I never learned his name. I didn't stay long enough."

"You escaped?" Jasper voiced in disbelief.

I gave a small smile, nodding, "He brought me a boy. Human. No older than you were when you enlisted. He was meant to be my meal, and he almost was. I ran before the temptation became overwhelming. My first blood was actually a horse."

"You did this while you were still a newborn?" More shock.

"Yes. It wasn't without difficulty, but I've never tasted human blood." I mused gently, "I stayed isolated for a while during my first year. There were enough animals there to keep me far from people."

"It must've been lonely," Jasper said carefully. "To isolate yourself."

"It was," I agreed, "but it wasn't so bad."

I pulled my hands out from under the table, simultaneously taking the ring off and hiding it in my palm.

With my other hand, I reached forward to grab Jasper's own, and placed the ring in his open palm.

"This kept me company. It was like carrying around a picture of you." I murmured.

Jasper chuckled quietly, his fingers brushing over the gems, "You kept this?"

"I'd never lose it!" I exclaimed, "It was given to me by the best, most stupid friend I ever had!Plus, every time I touched it I'd see you." My voice was teasing as I explained, and he laughed again, handing it back to me.

"What happened after your first year?" He asked after the laughter died down.

"I went into town and bought some new clothes, and then I traveled. I ran with Garett, another nomad for a while, but he would come back from hunting with human blood on his scent. It was too much to stay there. Mostly, we just track each other whenever we want to meet."

"Garett is a good man. He found his mate with our friends in Denali. I'm sure he's adjusting slowly to his new diet," Jasper smirked. He paused, remembering, "You said you could see me when you touched the ring?"

I nodded happily, "I can read the past."

He stiffened, suddenly going very quiet.

"...Jasper?" I began, worriedly now, "Did I say something wrong?"

"Did you read mine?"

I exhale, slightly relieved, "No. No never without your permission."

He nodded, relaxing once more. Finally, he looked at me, a thought causing him to grin, "Come with me."

I tilted my head in confusion, but took the hand that he offered me, following slowly through the house.

"You're confused." He said, "Don't worry, you'll like what I'm going to show you."

I smile at the childish tone in his voice, but more confusion settles in the pit of my stomach, "How'd you know I was confused?"

A slight chuckled escaped his lips as he turned to look back at me, "I'm an empath. I feel and influence the emotions of people around me."

I gasp in mock horror, "You're making me confused!" I said dramatically.

I assume he rolled his eyes at that, but since only the back of his head was visible to me, I couldn't be sure.

"No, that's all you. I can help you feel less confused if you like."

"Alright, Mr. Whitlock. Do your thing."

We stopped in front of a plain wooden door, and suddenly, all of my confusion dissipated, replaced with certainty and confidence.

"Woah." I said breathlessly.

Jasper smiled, but said nothing. Opening the door he allowed me to enter first. He made his way over to a small set of wooden drawers and opened the one on top. When he turned around, the first thing I registered was a big, stupid grin on his face. Looking closer, I saw it.

There, dangling from his hand, was the brass pocket-watch.

I laughed happily, "Does it still tick?"

A shake of the head, "No, but I couldn't throw it out. It was given to me by the best, most stupid friends I ever had."

I scoffed at the mimicry, but crossed the room, wrapping my arms around his torso.

"I'm glad you're here." I whispered gently.

His arms reached up to return the embrace, his face buried in my hair.

"Me too."