Fashion Show

Mikey was sprawled out on my bed while I lounged in my giant bean bag chair. He was staring at my ceiling, no doubt counting how many sticky stars I had scattered around. Music boomed through the surround sound speakers. Somehow every song that played had a deep philosophical meaning. The light was suddenly way too bright. My grip tightened around the object in my hand.

"Mikey," I sang out, "will you please turn off the light?" I smiled up at him. He grumbled but shut the light off for me. I closed my eyes and let the music flow through me. I couldn't tell if I was thinking to myself or talking out loud.

Life is so weird. There are so many people living so many different lives. People are all so different. How can people who come from the same area or are in the same family be so different? Time is weird too. Some things feel like it happened yesterday, but it happened years ago, or vice versa. Its so strange how you feel like the same person as you were yesterday but then suddenly its years later and you're not the same?

Mikey laughed aloud and pulled me from my thoughts. I questioned him, "what's so funny?"

"You're doing it again. Thinking out loud."

It was my turn to laugh. I lifted the pipe in my hand and lit the bowl. I took a hit and offered it to my brother. I let out all my frustrations when I exhaled. "Sorry. I just can't get over this stupid party. I don't want to be surrounded by people I don't like and only want to judge me based on who I am at school."

Mikey nodded his head, understanding me. None of us are the same at school as we are in the real world. "Izzy, you've never been to a party though. You don't know how people will treat you. Enough booze and no one cares who you are or what you do. More than enough booze and they probably won't even remember." He laughed and shook his head, remembering some of the nights he's spent passed out in a strange bed or in front of the toilet because he had a bit too much fun. "Anyway. I have something for you. Call it a party present, for your first party."

He left the room for a minute and returned holding something behind his back. "I know you're not excited and Scar is making a huge deal about your outfit. So here." He handed me a black leather jacket. It wasn't exactly me, but it definitely wasn't out of the question either. "I figured you could wear something plain and simple under it and still pass Scars inspection."

"Thank you, Mike." I gave him a hug and pulled the jacket on. It fit perfectly. "I love it."

"Any time sis."

There was a quiet knock from downstairs followed by a slam. "Izzy! Mike! Are you guys here?" Scar called from downstairs.

I sighed and took one last hit before letting her know we were in my room.

"You better be ready to pick out an outfit since you guys started smoking without me!" She burst into the room with bags in her hands. Great. She pulled out an outfit and handed it to me. "Here, try this on."

I rolled my eyes for the first of many times, and tried on the first of many outfits. After far too many choices, she let me decide on basic jeans and tank. I could have picked this out on my own, hours ago.

"Fine. You can wear that. But only because of the jacket. It makes it look better than just a regular hoodie. And you have to wear these boots. They're definitely not you but it's only one night and they're super cute." Scar pulled out a pair of boots and made me model my finished outfit. "Perfect. Do your hair and make up and no one will recognize you."