Study Hall Observations

Last period of the day, study hall. Fifteen minutes until the bell rings and I get to leave for the day. Not that I ever do anything exciting after school anyway, but still. I sat in the back and watched what everyone else was doing. I watched Scarlett brush her long red curls and touch up her flawless makeup. That girl is obsessed with her looks, I swear. She cares what people think more than Ally and I do. Ally and half the class were doing what the period was meant for, homework. Some worked in pairs, but Ally worked alone. She always liked to be a lone ranger, much like myself. Great alone, but always happy to have each other.

There was an empty seat between James and me. He was turned with is legs in the isle and looking in my direction. He was far less subtle about looking than I was. He was staring at me so bluntly with curious eyes. He was slouched in his seat. Eyes piercing, void of any real emotion. His brows furrowed, like he just figured out one of my deepest and darkest secrets.

Interesting. The badass is watching me, watch everyone else.

The bell rang, and the class disappeared through the door. Monday might suck, but school sucks more and kids still have better things to do than sit around in classes. My friends and I put our things away and met at our cars.

"Anything exciting this week, Izzy?"

"Ally, do I ever do anything exciting?"

Scarlett jumped in to the conversation, looking up from her phone. "There's actually a huge party coming up. Next week or so. TBD actually, but still. Never too early to go party shopping. Besides, homecoming is next month. Whose down?" She looked at me expectantly.

"Scar, you know I don't party. I don't know why you always ask me. You can go without me." I rolled my eyes at her and threw my bag in the back seat of my car.

"Izzy listen. This isn't just any party, it's the party." She gave me a look. The look.

Ally gave me a look too. One of defeat.

I mirrored her look to Scarlett. "The party? It's coming up already?" I whined and mumbled under my breath, "damn it."

Scar sighed and put her phone in her purse. "It's one party Iz. It's not the end of the world."

Ally looked between us. "I guess that means shopping later?"

"I guess so. Meet at the mall at 6?"

Scar beamed with excitement. "See ya later then!"

Ally and I got in my car and made our way to my house. We were supposed to study but apparently it was shopping day.