The Chamber part 1

A/N: Thanks for all of your supportive comments! It's been hard. I just want to say, thanks for always being here for me and being such good fans and readers! Here's the next chapter! :)

Disclaimer: I only own Maddi, Miss Allen, Emily, Julie, and the others from the sorting. The rest of the characters, places, spells, and creatures belong to J.K. Rowling except for Lauren which belongs to tigrisangel

(I'm writing this in book version and the point of view it is in.)

Chapter 22: The Chamber of Secrets

A voice, Professor McGonagall's, was magically magnified throughout the castle.

"All students to return to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately, please."

Harry and Ron who were outside the staff room began to wonder.

"Do you think there's been another attack?" Harry asked.

"I dunno. I hope not. Not now," Ron groaned. "What'll we do?" said Ron aghast. "Go back to the dorms?"

"No," said Harry, glancing around. There was an ugly sort of wardrobe to their left, full of teachers' cloaks. "In here. Let's hear what it's all about. Then we can tell them what we've found out."

They hid themselves inside it, listening to the rumbling of hundreds of people moving overhead, and the staff room door banging open, from the musty folds of the cloaks, they watched the teachers filtering into the room. Some of them were looking puzzled, others down right scared. Then Professor McGonagall arrived.

"It has happened," she told the silent staff room. "Two students have been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself."

Professor Flitwick let out a squeal. Professor Sprout clapped her hands over her mouth. Snape gripped the back of the chair very hard and said, "How can you be sure?"

"The Heir of Slytherin," said Professor McGonagall, who was very white, "left another message. Right underneath the first one. 'Their skeletons will lie in the Chamber forever.'"

Professor Flitwick burst into tears.

"Who are they?" said Madam Hooch, who had sunk, weak-kneed, into a chair. "Which students?"

"Maddi Fairchild," Harry's stomach flopped. "And Ginny Weasley." She whispered. Harry felt Ron slide silently down onto the wardrobe floor beside him.

"We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," said Professor McGonagall. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said..."

The staffroom door banged open again. For one wild moment, Harry thought for sure it would be Dumbledore. But it was Lockhart, and he was beaming.

"So sorry-dozed off-what have I missed?"

He didn't seem to notice that the other teachers were looking at him with something remarkably like hatred. Snape stepped forward.

"Just the man," he said. "The very men. Two girls have been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last."

Lockhart blanched.

"That's right, Gilderoy," chipped in Professor Sprout. "Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets it?"

"I-well, I-"sputtered Lockhart.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" piped up Professor Flitwick.

"D-did I? I don't recall-"

"I certainly remember you saying you were sorry you hadn't had a crack at the monster before Hagrid was arrested," said Snape. "Didn't you say the whole affair had been bungled, and that you should have been given a free rein from the first?'