Being 11

Chapter 4: Being 11

"You!" she screeched, shoving her pointer finger into my chest.

I bolted upright in a cold sweat and gasped. I jerked my head back and forth, gazing around the room. I was in the girl's room. It was pitch black. I climbed out of bed and felt my way around and out of the room. I opened the door a tiny crack before it made a loud creak. I whipped my head around to the direction of the bed. I could still hear the erupting snores from the girl. I slowly opened the door enough for me to slip out of the room. Walking out of the room, I almost fell down the stairs. With an 'oof' and a quick glance around to see that no one was awakened by my fall, I started to venture into the kitchen.

There was some moonlight shining through the window into the sitting room. As I continued on my way, something caught my eye and made me stop in my tracks. It looked as though something had moved. My head shot toward the small movement I saw. I couldn't see anything, so I started to look away when I saw another movement. Now certain that I saw something, I cautiously started making my way towards it. Once I was in reaching distance of it, I could see it a little clearer. It was a book, but I thought I saw something move. The thick heavy book was propped up on top of a large stack of books. It was entitled: "Gilderoy Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests" in fancy gold letters. There was a beastly man smiling on the front and twitching his head, probably his way of winking. He had blond, wavy hair, blue eyes, and an ugly skin complexion. I was confused at how the book was moving like a movie. I decided I would ask Molly when she got up.

I turned away from that book and found the book that the old man gave me laying on the couch, untouched. I picked it up. 'Hogwarts: A History'. It sounded interesting. By the looks of it, it was a magical book. I picked up the book, laid down on the couch, and opened it. It was really fascinating. It was about the magical school I was supposed to be going to. After I was about 7 or so chapters in, my eyelids began to droop. I gave a big yawn and let sleep overcome me again.

I was quickly awakened by the sound of someone screaming. "Out of my mind with worry-did you care? -never, as long as I've lived----you wait until your father gets home, we never had trouble like this from Bill or Charlie or Percy---" Someone mumbled something and the woman started screaming again, "YOU COULD DO WITH TAKING A LEAF OUT OF PERCY'S BOOK! You could have died, you could have been seen, you could have lost you father his job-----" the woman was then interrupted by me shrieking and falling off of the couch.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry for scaring you like that." She said, her eyes softening when she looked at me. I quickly picked up the book, closed it, and put it back on the couch carefully. When I looked back up, the boys were still staring at me. I shifted my feet uncomfortably. "Right now, how about we have a spot of breakfast?" she asked while leading the way. I quickly followed behind her. I sat down in the closest chair to the door. The boys still weren't in the kitchen, but I could hear murmuring in the sitting room.

"Would you like some toast or anything?" she asked me softly as I sat down. The boys had come in and had taken their seats. Fred was sitting next to me and George was still standing.

"Oh. I'm sorry, George. Did I take your seat? I'll move." I said, getting up and moving to a different seat.

"I don't know you. So how do you know me?" George asked looking shocked.

"Oh, um it was from this dream I had last night. You guys were. You three were like. It was just really weird." I said. If I told them I had a dream about them flying an old blue car, then they would think I'm crazy.

"What was your dream about?" Molly pressed.

"Um, well Ron was talking to Fred who was driving a flying car and they mentioned George and he doesn't look like a George," I said pointing a finger at the boy with the black hair and glasses. "So I kind of just assumed he was George, but yes I got a name right!" I smiled. The boys started staring at me in shock. I grabbed a piece of buttered toast and started to nibble on it.

Dropping the strange subject, Molly started to talk to Harry.

"Of course I don't blame you Harry dear," Molly assured the boy while putting 8 or 9 sausages onto his plate. Bringing back a conversation I knew nothing about. "Arthur and I have been worried about you, too. Just last night we were saying we'd come and get you ourselves if you hadn't written back to Ron by Friday. But really," (she was now adding 3 fried eggs to his plate) "flying an illegal car halfway across the country-anyone could have seen you ---"

She flicked a stick casually at the dishes in the sink, which began to clean themselves. My eyes widened in shock.

I continued staring at the dishes, but I still listened to the conversation. "But it was cloudy, Mum!" Fred exclaimed.

"You keep your mouth closed while you're eating!" Molly snapped.

"They were starving him, Mum!" Said George.

"And you!" said Molly, but it was with a slightly softened expression that she started cutting bread and buttering it.

At that moment, Ginny came bounding downstairs in her long, blue nightdress. "Mum, have you seen my jumper?" she asked.

"Yes dear, it's on the cot." Molly answered.

Ginny then looked at me and smiled, but then she quickly noticed Harry and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Hello," Harry said politely. Ginny gave a small yelp, ran out of the kitchen, and raced back up the stairs. "Did I say something?" Harry asked, looking at Ron. Fred and George were smirking trying hard to suppress their laughter.

"Ginny," said Ron in an undertone to Harry. "My sister. She's been talking about you all summer; it's gotten a little annoying really."

"Yeah, she'll be wanting your autograph, Harry," Fred said with a grin, but he caught his mother's eye and bent his face over his plate without another word. Wow, Molly was really scary if she wanted to be. I only ate half of my toast before putting it down on the plate. I was already full.

"Blimey, I'm tired," yawned Fred, setting down his knife and fork at last. "I think I'll go to bed and-----"

"You will not," snapped Molly. "It's your own fault you've been up all night. You're going to de-gnome the garden for me; they're getting completely out of hand again ---"

"Oh, Mum---"

"And you two," she said glaring at Ron and Fred. "You can go up to bed, dear," she added to Harry. "You didn't ask them to fly that wretched car --- Now let's see what Lockhart's got to say on the subject----" she grabbed the book that I looked at off of the mantle. George groaned.

"Mum, we know how to de-gnome a garden---"

Molly ignored him and beamed down at the ugly beast. "OH, he is marvelous," she said. "He knows his household pests, all right; it's a wonderful book...."

"Mum fancies him," said Fred, in a very auditable whisper.

"Don't be so ridiculous, Fred," said Molly, her cheeks rather pink. All right, if you think you know better than Lockhart, you can go and get on with it, and woe betide you if there's a single gnome in that garden when I come out to inspect."

The red-heads yawned and grumbled and slouched outside. "Maddi, would you prefer a bath or a shower?" Molly asked me.

I scratched the back of my head uncomfortably. "I don't know. I'll probably just take a bath." I answered.

"Well then, I'll just draw you up a bath and put some clothes in there for you. I nodded and I turned to go up the stairs. Before I could make it very far, I heard a screaching of an owl and turned around, wondering why I heard an owl.

When I turned around, I saw an owl dropping a newspaper on the table and then fly off. I looked at the top. The Daily Prophet, June 22.

"Is that today's paper?" I asked.

Molly turned and looked at it. "Yes, why?"

"Today is my birthday." I answered.

I'm finally 11.