Another Attack

Disclaimer: I only own Maddi, Miss Allen, Emily, Julie, and the others from the sorting. The rest of the characters, places, spells, and creatures belong to J.K. Rowling except for Lauren which belongs to tigrisangel

Chapter 19: Another Attack

"Three-two-one-go!" he shouted.

Malfoy raised his wand quickly and bellowed, "Serpensortia!"

The end of his wand exploded. I watched, aghast, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between Harry and Malfoy, and raised itself, ready to strike at someone. People in the crowd screamed as I stood there, frozen and petrified. Most of the crowd backed away slightly.

"Don't move, Potter," said Snape lazily, clearly enjoying the sight of Harry standing motionless, eye to eye with the angry looking snake. "I'll get rid of it."

"Allow me!" shouted Lockhart. He brandished his wand at the snake and there was a loud bang; the snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet in the air and fell back onto the floor with a loud smack. Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight toward me and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike. I stood there still frozen. I looked into its beady little eyes that glinted at me, ready to kill me.

Harry started walking forward and started hissing and spitting, almost as if talking like a snake. The snake looked at Harry and started backing away.

I looked at Harry in confusion as he looked up smiling at me. Everyone else around me was dead silent.

Snape stepped forward, waved his wand, and the snake vanished in a small puff of black smoke. Everybody seemed to look at Harry in a funny way. Emily and Neville grabbed one of my arms and got me out of there as fast as they could while everyone still frozen. They pushed me into an empty classroom.

"I can't believe it! What do you think he was trying to tell the snake to do to her?" Emily asked Neville.

"I don't know. I kinda reckon that he was gonna have it attack her," Neville told Emily, completely ignoring me.

"Guys. I'm right here. Whatever he was saying got the snake to back off of me. Not attack me," I told them.

"What he was saying was Parseltongue. For all we know, he could've tried to get it to attack you and it just backed away and didn't listen to him. It sounded like he was egging it on," Emily told me in a quivering voice.

"Wait. What's a Parseltongue?" I asked them.

"A Parseltongue is someone that can talk to snakes. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin House is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes too. For all we know, he could be his great-great-great grandson or something and the heir!" Neville exclaimed.

"I'm just glad you're okay," Emily told me. "Common, let's go to bed." She said as she guided me out of the classroom and up to the portrait hole. She said the password and quickly led me up the stairs to our dorm.

I laid awake for hours into the night thinking of it. 'Harry wouldn't do something like that to me. I know him and he isn't like that.' I thought, but another voice in my head told me. 'Ah, but do you really know him as well as you think?' after that, I fell into a troubled sleep.

Snow had fallen. It was a full on blizzard when I got up the next morning. The last Herbology class before term was canceled. Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation that she would entrust no one else except for herself and Neville because now it was so important for the Mandrakes to grow quickly and revive Mrs. Norris and Colin. I looked out the window and thought of how cold it must've been out there for them. I went down to the library to help Emily with some homework that I insisted she finish before the holidays. She was going home to visit her family, and so was Neville.