Welcome to Hogwarts!

Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter characters, spells, and places belong to J.K. Rowling. I own the orphanage, Miss Allen, and Maddi.

Chapter 9: Welcome to Hogwarts!

Before I could answer, the compartment door opened again. And guess what platinum blonde haired git just walked in.

"Oi! Longbo-"he stopped whatever he was going to say when he saw me. A look of hatred, pain, and disgust flashed across his face. "Oh, it's you. I'm not surprised Longbottom couldn't find better company than you. A disgrace to pureblood wizardry, hanging around with an orphaned homeless person," he said making another face.

"Is that the best you can think of with that brain of yours? Oh, wait. You don't have one," I taunted. I know, it was a lame comeback, but it was the first thing I could think of.

"Stupid little mudblood," he sneered before fully walking out of our compartment.

I wanted to ask what "mudblood" meant, but Neville's clenched fists and pale face along with Luna's hand pressed against her mouth told me not to bring it up.

Not even a minute later, the Weasley twins with Ginny bounding along behind them, entered our compartment and plopped down, Fred and George next to Neville and Ginny in-between Luna and me.

"What did Malfoy want?" Fred spit his name out with disgust. I didn't know whether to ask them what the word meant or to ignore it. The look on Neville's face told me he wanted to ignore it.

"Just wanted to say hello," I weakly smiled while scolding myself for being so stupid in saying that. Fred and George both had a questioning look along with a We-know-your-lying look, but before they could ask, Ginny let out a small shriek while pointing outside. I looked immediately and saw Harry hanging out of the car that we drove to King's Cross and Ron trying to grab his hand while trying to steer at the same time.

We all watched with anticipation while Fred and George made some side comments about how they wanted to ride in the car. We all sighed out a breath of relief when Harry was pulled back into the car, with the door closed. The car was soon out of sight and Fred and George announced their departure after telling us that we should get our robes on. Ginny went back to her compartment to change and Neville left Luna and I to change into our plain black robes with no crest for our house obviously because we haven't been sorted yet. Neville came in and we just joked around.

A voice echoed through the train: "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train; it will be taken to the school separately."

My stomach lurched with nerves. Luna looked a little paler than normal. Neville lead us into the corridor where a bunch of other students were also entering.

The train slowed down and finally stopped. People pushed their way toward the door and out on to a tiny, dark platform. I shivered in the cold night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students, and I heard a familiar voice: "Firs' years! Firs' years over here! Ello Maddi!"

The giant's big hairy face beamed over the sea of heads.

"C'mon, follow me-any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

Slipping and stumbling, we followed the giant down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on either side of us that I thought there must be thick trees there. Nobody spoke much.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," The giant called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

There was a loud "Oooooh!"

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.