The Sorting

Disclaimer: I do not own any Harry Potter characters, places, or spells. They all belong to J. K. Rowling. I own the rest of the characters most of which were part of the sorting in the previous chapter NOT INCLUDING Colin Creevey!

Chapter 10: The Sorting

"Hmm. Awful past. Horrible past. Defiant. Maybe Slytherin?" the hat questioned to itself

"No!" I thought. "Slytherin sucks!"

The hat ignored my comment and continued thinking. "Very bright. Maybe Ravenclaw? But also very brave and courageous. Should it be Gryffindor like your parents? or Ravenclaw like your aunts. Both sets of family have a very good ancestry from both houses." I was puzzled, yet intrigued since I didn't know much about my parents. "Well, then it's got to be, GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouted. I sighed in relief and went over to the table on the far left that burst into applause. I sat down next to Neville, who was near the twins.

I looked up at Professor Dumbledore to see a satisfactory smile planted on his face. I smiled at him and just zoned out of the sorting and just kicked Percy under the table and then pretending it wasn't me. Yes, I had changed in the past months that I had been at the Weasleys'. I was not the same shy, quiet, abused girl that I had been. I was now carefree and less shy than before.

I ignored the sorting and smirked as Percy scolded the dumbfounded twins who didn't know what they were been scolded for. I only started paying attention when I heard the name, 

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Lynch, Emily!"

A tan skinned girl with long black hair in a ponytail came from the back of the line and sat on the stool nervously. She put on the hat that fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause-

"Gryffindor!" shouted the hat.

Our table exploaded with cheers as she came and sat down across from us. I then resumed kicking Percy until I heard Ginny's name being called. "Gryffindor!" the hat called almost instantly. I clapped along with the rest of the table and smiled at Ginny as she sat across from Fred and George.

That was the end of the sorting and Professor Dumbledore stood up. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Now I would just like to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lockhart." Most people clapped, girls the hardest. I didn't clap, nor boo. I just sat there emotionless. The professor nodded his head and smiled. After the clapping died down, Professor Dumbledore continued, "Now tuck into our delicious banquet!" he said before sitting back down.

The dishes in front of me became piled with food. There were so many things to eat of all different food groups. There was roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamp chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, corn, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint hambugs.

I took some roast beef with ketchup, boiled potatoes with gravy, fries, and the pudding and began to eat along with everyone else. Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, and a man in black robes with greasy black hair slipped back into the room. I didn't even notice them leave.

After everyone was finished eating, Professor Dumbledore stood up and waited until the room fell silent before he started talking. "Ahem-just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."

Dumbledore's eyes flashed in the direction of the Weasley twins who were smiling and waving at him.

"I have been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should not be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch try outs will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madame Hooch. And finally, I wish you all a good nights rest to be ready for tomorrows first day of lessons. I now ask the Prefects to escort their house to their dormitories." And with that, Percy called us over to him and we followed him through the chatter-filled hall. I wasn't really surprised when the portraits along the corridors whispered and pointed as we passed, or that twice Percy lead us through doorways hidden behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries. We climbed more staircases. We came to a sudden halt. A portrait of a very woman in a pink silk dress hung in front of them.

"Password?" she asked

"Wattlebird," said Percy, and the portrait swung forward to reveal a round hole in the wall. We all scrambled through it and found ourselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cozy, round room full of squashy armchairs. "Girl dormitories are to the left and boys to the right. First years' room is the first door on both sides. You can s-"Percy was however cut off by the portrait door opening and lots of clapping when Ron and Harry were pulled in. Many of the first years looked excited, but Percy looked upset and mad at them. Not wanting to be part of whatever drama might happen, I walked up the staircase to a door marked 'First Years' and walked in. Our trunks were already here and next to each bed. Mine was by a window and in between Ginny, who was in the middle, and the girl named Emily, who was right next to the door to get out of the room. Not bothering to look at the rest of the people's trunks, I pulled on my nightwear and climbed into my bed, shut the curtains, and fell into a well-deserved sleep.

--

Please VOTE-COMMENT-FAN-LIKE-SHARE!

Thanks for reading

~M