- Chapter Five -

Brooklyn's POV,

"Mommy!" Hazel squealed as I walked into Pam's house

She ran to give me a hug, stopping dead in her tracks as she heard Pam's voice.

"Hazel, back on the step!" Pam yelled from the other room

"I told you, you're in timeout! Stay there!"

"Mommy, tell Grandma to be nice to me." She stuck out her pouty lip as Pam walked into the room

"Hazel, I'm at my wit's end with you. Back to the step or I'm calling your father."

"Mommy! Save me!"

"Listen to your grandma. I can't save you." I said, much to her dismay.

She went back to the naughty step as Pam led me into the kitchen

"What is going on?"

"Little rascal thought she would just help herself to all dozen of the cookies I made. And then she lied about it! It's been an ongoing battle today, so you can take her if you want."

"I want." I sighed

"Justin's never with her, but I'm off for the next two weeks. I don't know why he is being so stubborn. She's obviously acting out for attention. I can give her that! I want her at my house."

"Please go talk to Justin. I love Hazel, but I need a break. She's been here for almost two weeks straight."

Justin's POV,

"Hazel was awful, Justin. She's acting out." My mom said as soon as I walked into her house

It was nearly midnight, so Hazel was asleep but I hadn't expected such a bad report.

"What?" I asked, curious as to what she had done

"It's not her fault. She's being carted from my house to Mandy's, and she's not getting any attention. She deserves to have someone who has time to spend with her. You need to ask for help."

"The nanny is," I started to speak, but my mom immediately interrupted

"Why would you bring up the nanny when you have Brook? She's not working right now. Let her take Hazel while you're putting in all-nighters at the studio."

I sat down, trying to make sense of what my mom was telling me.

I had worked so hard to put Brook in her place. She needed to know that she couldn't have Hazel whenever she wanted.

But, in her defense, she hadn't ever missed a visit in the three years we had been co-parenting.

She was always overeager to get Hazel.

Maybe my mom had a point.

"Maybe it's time to admit you need help, Justin. Brooklyn is willing. Talk to her. Take her to lunch or something low-key and talk about it. But do it quickly because Hazel's next tactic for attention might be burning my house down."

Brooklyn's POV,

I was pleasantly surprised when Justin texted and asked me to go to lunch.

I had been planning to ask him the next time I went to pick up Hazel, but he beat me to the punch.

Walking into the restaurant, I was shaking. We hadn't spent more than ten minutes together in over four years.

I didn't know what Justin thought we were talking about. I was going to try my best to win back his trust in the next hour, mostly by telling the truth.

"Hi." He smiled nicely as I sat down at the table towards the back of the restaurant

It was the first time he had smiled at me since before I had left.

It was a small step, and I was happy.

"Hey!" I returned the smile as I sat down

The waitress came over right away to take our drink orders, breaking the ice.

We managed small-talk until our lunch was served, a burger for him and a salad for me.

"So," He sighed heavily as he took a bite and chewed quickly,

"The next two weeks is going to be absolutely nuts for me. I'm going to be in the studio all night long and I have to go to Atlanta at some point."

"And so Hazel's going to stay with your mom? Or the nanny?"

"Well, Hazel's kind of outstayed her welcome at Grandma's house. And she doesn't ever sleep when the nanny stays over."

"I see. And Mandy?"

"She's in Texas for a couple of weeks. With Brian already taking care of Gracie on his own, I wouldn't feel right asking him to take Hazel, too."

I just nodded as I took another bite of my salad.

Justin looked intensely at me, but I just continued to eat.

"My mom said you are off for the next couple of weeks?" He tried to urge me farther

I again nodded.

"Damn it, Brook, do you want to take Hazel or not?" He snapped

"Of course I do." I laughed

"I just wanted you to ask. It's not very often I don't have to beg for time with her."

Justin's POV,

Brook smiled mischievously at me from across the table.

She knew how hard it was for me to ask for help, especially from her.

"Great. Can you pick her up at school today? And you can keep her until I get back from Atlanta next Sunday?"

"Definitely!" She nodded, now showing her excitement

"Perfect. Here's the pass codes into the gate, the house and the security system if she needs anything from home." I said as I gave her a piece of paper with all of the important codes.

I had changed them all since Brook had lived with us, but now she needed them.

I quickly finished my burger and gave the waitress my credit card.

I had a meeting in an hour, and I knew I needed to get going.

"Justin, I just want to thank you for letting me into Hazel's life. I know you are still mad at me,"

"Brook, I'm not mad at you. I could care less about you. I don't give a shit about anything that has happened."

"Can I just explain?"

"No. I have to get going." I got up and walked towards the door without another word to her.

I didn't need to hear her reasoning. I didn't want to be tempted to go back to her.

She had caused me more pain than Selena ever did. Brook had put a knife in my heart and wrenched it back and forth.

It had taken me a long time to get over the pain she had inflicted, and now I didn't want anything to do with it.