- Chapter Four -

Justin's POV,

"Ma. ma. come home?" Hazel asked as she climbed onto my lap."

"I promise you, Hazel, I'll find Mommy." I said as I kissed her forehead

I wasn't lying.

I was going to find her.

I had private investigators in both California and North Carolina, as well several more who were traveling around searching for clues.

So far, three months into our search, we had no leads. Brook hadn't used any of her credit or debit cards. She hadn't used her social security number for a job or anything like that.

It was as if she had just disappeared without a single trace.

But that wasn't going to deter me. I was going to find her. I wasn't going to lose the second woman I had fallen in love with.

As if on cue, my phone started ringing.

It was a blocked number, but I didn't even hesitate to answer as I walked out onto the porch.

I saw my mom taking Hazel up to her room so I could have some privacy, though I had no idea who would be on the line.

"Hello?" I spoke through all of my nerves.

"I need you to forget I ever happened." A familiar voice said in a very calm voice

"Brook! Where are you? What," I tried to ask a million questions at once but she quickly cut me off

"I need you to go on with your life and stop looking for me, Justin. I never loved you. Let me go."

She didn't love me? She didn't ever love me? And Hazel? She hadn't ever loved Hazel?

Everything we had was some sort of game to her?

As the phone clicked off, so did my heart. I felt my blood boiling as I walked back inside and thought about the conversation.

As soon as I walked into the empty living room, I saw the picture of my nearly perfect family that hung on the mantel.

Taken at her second birthday party, Hazel was wearing a tutu and a birthday onesie.

She looked as cute as ever in the picture.

She had been captured mid-giggle in Brooklyn's arms.

Brook looked so happy as she beamed towards Hazel. Looking at myself, I was smiling because I was looking at the strong love between my girls.

But now, I tried to keep my thoughts in control, now everything was fake.

Brook's smile was fake. Her love towards my family was fake.

Thinking of nothing but my growing anger and hatred towards Brook's, I took the picture off of it's place on the wall.

"I trusted you!" I yelled as I threw the picture at the ground.

"I loved you!" I felt tears in my eyes as I watched the picture hit the hardwood floor.

I felt a strange sense of relief as the glass shattered into a million little pieces. Our picture perfect family wasn't so perfect anymore; the perfect family lay under the shattered glass.

• • •

"Daddy?" Hazel snapped me out of my thoughts

I sat down at the table with her for the

first time in almost a week. I was almost done recording and I couldn't wait to put out my first album in almost ten years.

"Yes?"

"Why doesn't Mommy live here?"

"You know how Samantha's parents don't live together?"

"Because they don't love each other any more?"

"Right."

I decided that was simpler than trying to explain everything.

Hazel was so young when Brook had left, she didn't remember that.

She didn't even remember Brook and I together. She was only concerned that Brook was her mother, another topic of concern I hadn't ever addressed.

For a six-year-old, it would be too confusing to try to explain what had happened to Selena, how Brook even came into the picture, and then why she was still around.

It was easier to just nod and agree.

"Well I wish Mommy lived here, and I wish you still loved her."

I nearly choked on the food in my mouth as she batted her eyelashes at me.

"Hazel, eat. We have to get going." I said as I cleared my throat

Brooklyn's POV,

"Hey Mama, why do you look so sad?" Roman asked as he walked into the living room

"I miss Hazel." I shrugged

I had a dozen things to get done tonight, but I couldn't think about any of them.

Hazel had told me that I hadn't spent a single night at home for the last two weeks. She was staying with Pam most days and nights while Justin worked on his album.

I was happy for him, but I wanted to spend time with Hazel. I didn't know why he wouldn't just let me have her since he wasn't spending time with her anyways.

"Call Pam. She always lets you visit."

"I know. I just want Justin to realize I'm not the insane, horrible person he thinks I am.

I want him to trust me.

We've been doing this for years. Why can't he see I'm not going anywhere? Why can't he relax and just let me be a part of her life for good?"

"Aye, Mama, you broke his heart." Roman sighed

"I know you were protecting him, but until he sits down and gets the full story, he won't ever trust you.

"Well maybe that's what I need to do then.

I'm going to go see Hazel and Pam and then I'm going to ask Justin if we can have lunch or something casual to talk about Hazel."