45. Adele's Embrace & River of No Return

Start from the beginning

As Francesco walked out he saw his wife coming out of his car. He tried to ignore his surroundings. He wanted nothing more than to jump on O'Neil and give him a taste of his wrath. He didn't need his men for that or any weapons. His hands were enough. But of course he put the fantasy of strangling O'Neil to the side for now as his wife approached him and gave him a dream like embrace like she always did. He held her tightly as tight as he could not letting her go.

Adele was scared. More than anything. She was trembling and it didn't go unnoticed. After seconds past, Francesco whispered "Sweetheart why are you shaking? Are you cold? Do you want me to get you some warm coat or a warm drink." He slightly pulled away staring into his wife's eyes with concern.

Adele bit her lip. It was the same Francesco there no matter what mood he was in. She expected a rough embrace but Francesco was as calm and gentle as he always was. She shook her head. "No I am fine. I want us to go home..."

Vincenzo watched how his father embraced his mother. It was as though there was no one else around them when his father gave his full attention to his mother.

Francesco whispered "Sweetheart. I don't know why O'Neil has brought you and the kids here but this is not what I asked him to do. You are meant to be home in bed... You can leave..."

Adele looked up into Francesco's eyes "I can't sleep without you tonight. Come home with me. O'Neil told me about what's happened..." She then started looking around nervously... "He told me that ..."

Francesco sighed "He told you what sweetheart?"

Adele bit her lip "He told me, your father is causing you problems..."

Francesco glanced past Adele for a split second giving O'Neil a look that anyone else would have shaken to the core if they were on the receiving end. That look promised he was going to have hell to pay. But of course O'Neil stood where he was leaning to his car's trunk and even had the nerve to give Francesco a wave.

Francesco glanced back at his wife "Sweetheart. You go home. I will come to you shortly. I promise sweetheart. But I can't just leave."

There was double meaning in Francesco's words that Vincenzo likes to contemplate on. He couldn't just leave. He never could. He had a business to run where leaving was not an option. His father never had the luxury. Tonight's business could be postponed to tomorrow but his father was tied to his business for life and so were his children.

Francesco carried on " I need to make arrangements if I am to cut short tonight's work. As much as I like to come with you, I can't."

O'Neil suddenly appeared next to Adele "She will wait for you right here... It's time to leave so you can make decisions  about your business out of this "no return zone."

Francesco wanted to strangle O'Neil. No return zone was his nickname for business and work place. He had other names. River of no return was what O'Neil called the mob life most frequently ... He gave his wife a smile "Sweetheart, why don't you wait in the car. Give me a few minutes. Is that ok?"

Adele nodded quick as she looked between Francesco and O'Neil "I will be in the car waiting..." She then walked away.

Adele could see that everyone had kept a safe distance from her husband. Even her son and daughter hadn't left the car. They had not been instructed to be there. They followed what their father said word for word. No one had moved from their positions except her. She saw Vincenzo from a distance where he was sat on the edge of the surroundings of a marble water fountain. He was watching intently. No one moved on Francesco's land except her and of course O'Neil who never saw rules applying to him.