32. The Young Don (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Terza stared at him "Are you serious?"

Vincenzo said "Yes Terza."

Terza spoke quickly "I do a deal with you. Let them go unharmed and we can negotiate

Vincenzo raised an eyebrow "Deal. You will stay ... I will take you see my family and dine with them... it's time for me to introduce you to them as my girlfriend. Then I let you go with your people."

Terza asked "What? See your family? You haven't even done that. You said you don't eat at the same table with them knowing your father doesn't do the same..."

Vincenzo shook his head "This is different Terza. I don't see any point in dining with them when I don't have you right next to me. Now you are here. I see a purpose to do dine with them. I have to make it official who you are. With you being there it doesn't feel wrong. It feels right. It has to Hepplewhite Terza. What do you say Terza. Deal?"

Terza was taken back "So I just go see your family and you forget this ever happened? That's all... What is the catch?"

Vincenzo said "There is no catch. I don't need to be too harsh with you Terza. I am happy to see you. I don't like how you risked your safety but your guards are good at their job but Vitale is too good as my head of security and second in charge."

Terza found it strange how his tone was soft "Why are you suddenly so nice to me? A trespasser?"

Vincenzo said "You are not being hostile and you are being co-operative which I like. I know it won't last forever. But I like it when you do as I say."

Terza replies "Don't get used to it. I only do it because I have to in order to protect my people. I feel responsible for them."

Vincenzo said "You are speaking like a true Irish queen dealing with a Roman emperor." He then offered her hand for her to take "Let's go."

Terza slapped his hand "I am not holding your hand. You are holding my people hostage."

Vincenzo said "Terza. This is my land. You don't slap me on my land. Don't do it out there in public or I will make an example of your soldiers you have brought."

Terza said "I thought I was your girl. Don't I have the right to slap your hand?"

Vincenzo said "You are an Irish Queen. I am a roman emperor. We are not married. Are we? So no. Until you take my name you can't slap me around with no consequence to you and your people but ..."

Terza said in an amused tone "But one I marry you then I can?"

Vincenzo said "No. I just make sure I would never give you a reason to push me away. Once I have you Terza, I won't let you go and won't give you an excuse to want to leave me. I will make sure you will always want to hold my hand. It's just a hand holding Terza. I am not kissing you in public. What do you take my people for. I can't even let you sleep in the same house as me tonight if tradition has it's way."

Terza said "Hold on. I am not sleeping here tonight. You said you will let me go with my people."

Vincenzo said "Yes I did. But I didn't say when. Did I? Don't look at me like that Terza. I am not going to leave you at the mercy of the night once we say good night after you see my family. I take you to safety tomorrow when it's bright. You are stuck here tonight."

Terza sighed "Isn't your family sleeping already right now?"

Vincenzo said "No, they stay awake till very late most nights. It's part of the family culture... They have already dined but would be happy to show you hospitality on even late into the night."