Chapter 34 Ahleena's Revenge

Start from the beginning

On the Med table, Ahleena opened her eyes. They were the eyes of one consumed by purest agony, but filled with a determination so fierce that pain didn't matter. The eyes of The Ninja.

A soft, white nimbus of light began to glow around her, and a moment later, she carefully climbed to her feet. Her skin was bright pink, even blood-red in many spots, and would have torn open from her movements if it weren't for her telepathy. She was using her own mental telepathic power to coat her body in a shield so tightly coupled to her body, it was like an outer skin. Protecting her. Taking place of Callin's bone armor. Armor that had saved her life, and now was on its way back to its master, to save his life.

She opened the door as she saw the last of it slip underneath, resting her body against the doorjamb, watching as it sped down the hall towards Callin's writhing form. A hissing, snapping sound was filling the hall, and wisps of smoke drifted up off his body as he jerked wildly. The sound he was making made her shiver. If she was in pain on the entire outside of her body, he was consumed by it from within. She desperately wanted to contact him through their link, but knew if she dared to try it, her mind would be drawn into the storm within him. And in her weakened state, that would certainly kill her.

She watched as his armor seemed to flatten out and rear up, then drop over his form, almost instantly sinking into him, out of sight. And in seconds, his power seemed to begin to calm, his thrashing beginning to slow. She unsteadily walked towards him, not daring to probe out with her power to see if he was ok, or if he was dying.

He lay so still, in a dark, spreading pool of blood, she felt her heart begin to stutter in fear. She pushed it down with a dark growl. She was not a slave to fear. She would never again allow herself to fear anything to the point of paralysis. No matter what happened around her, to her, or even to those she cared about. Her eyes seemed to blaze with the steel-hard force of her will as she focused herself. Never again.

She crouched next to him, looking up at the sound of running feet. Everybody was rushing down the hall towards them, their faces stricken with worry. Carmen was at the lead, and the wild expression in her eyes made Ahleena pause.

"Step back! I can help him!" She cried, dropping to her knees next to him.

Everybody gasped as Carmen laid her bare hands on his forehead and closed her eyes. They all knew that meant her power was instantly linking them. Ahleena watched closely, impressed with the speed and natural talent Carmen had for dropping into a deep state of mediation.

She nodded approvingly as, through their link, she felt Callin's power begin to recede. She didn't know how she was doing it, but Carmen was somehow soothing him, helping him regain control. Even helping directly with controlling his lashing power. Like she was providing him with a foundation inside his own mind where he could gather himself, where he could stand outside the howling of his inner rage, his inner destructive power.

Ahleena wasn't surprised to feel waves of pain begin to wash off of Carmen. Nothing was free. She was sparing Callin the agony of his powers at the moment by taking it into herself. She nodded approvingly. Carmen was an interesting girl, with hidden depths of steel to her. And with hidden depths of compassion equal to that steel.

"Ahleena?" Jacob stood next to Carmen, his hand hovering above her shoulder. His gray eyes searched out Ahleena's, the question in them evident.

Ahleena shook her head. It wouldn't be good to intervene with what Carmen was doing. Jacob wanted to help, to lend his strength to Carmen, to possibly shield her from the waves of pain he could feel lashing about in the air. But Ahleena understood that Carmen was likely walking a very thin line right now. Any distraction at this moment...she shuddered to think what could happen.