Chapter 12

Hiccup's POV

The sun was setting when we arrived at the cliff on some mountains. It reminds me of the cliff near Berk, where Toothless and I are most of the time. Or better said were. I don't even know, if we ever will get back. I lit the campfire and Merida sat on a log near the fire. It is more a fallen tree as a log, but the roots weren't in the ground anymore. Anyway... Toothless had a stressful day, and it makes me happy seeing him sleeping so calm. But somehow I am angry. With myself? Because I left him alone? With Merida, because she told me to leave him in the forest? Her father because he forced her to marriage? Maybe all of it? “Are ye OK?” I startled by the sound of her voice. Merida sounded worried and I didn't realized that I sat besides her, just staring into the fire. “Yer eyes will hurt if ye stare into the fire for too long.” I smiled at her and nodded. I wasn't in the mood for arguing, or talking at all. Suddenly realizing, that I already argued with her earlier made my eyes wider. “Sorry... I didn't meant to...”, I apologized, scratching the back of my head. She looked a bit confused but smiled at me after all. “It's OK... I have the feeling we apologize too often.” An awkward silence followed before I drifted into my thoughts of my hometown. “How could I go back?”, I mumbled, not expecting an answer, but I got one. “Uhm... the Bermuda-Triangle is in the south-west. But far, far away...”, Merida said embarrassed. That's right! She told me how much she is fascinated about this thing. “But it's dangerous!”, she added hesitating. Does she want me to go? Does she wants me to stay? What is is? I wasn't aware that I mumbled my last question: “Does she want to come with me?” “What did ye say?”, Merida asked confused. I looked up in shock and repeated my question properly: “D-Do you want to come with me?” My heart stopped at the moment I looked into her eyes. There was something new in it and just looking in her eyes made me feel like spectating a firework and giving me butterflies in my stomach. Her jaw dropped slowly and her soft, rosy lips parted. I felt the urge to kiss her, but I felt that this was inappropriate at the moment. But all of the sudden her eyes went dark, like a thought shattered the dream of coming with me. The words she mumbled made my mind creak down for a second. But what about the baby? Baby? BABY!? Is she telling me she is already pregnant? This would explain the mood swings. “Are you telling me....? You are not... please tell me...”, I slightly freaked out, standing up and walking in circles around the campfire. The branches under her shoes cracked as she stood up and took my face in her hands. „Listen! I am not! I was talking about my mother! She is---”, she explained but I cut of of, sighing 'Oh my goodness' and kissing her suddenly, but softly.

Merida's POV

It was nearly night as we arrived at one of the cliffs. I know a waterfall close by another cliff. The water of this waterfall nearby is really refreshing. I used to climb up to it but this was some time ago. I sat on a fallen tree while Hiccup lit the campfire. He looked like he knows what he's doing and the sudden light of the flames dipped his face in a charming orange red shine, which made my heart jump. I turned to Toothless to hide my blush from Hiccup. He looked so peaceful in his sleep. I wonder what happened to him. I felt guilty. For making Hiccup leave Toothless alone? For Hiccup getting wanted by my father and the kingdom? Or the kiss? I don't even know how he fells about this. After making the fire, he sat beside me he seemed so absent. “Are ye OK?” I asked worried. Have I hurt him anyhow? Besides the arrow. He stared into the fire, like he was avoiding eye contact. “Yer eyes will hurt if ye stare into the fire for too long.” He finally turned to my and smiled while he nodded. I wanted to talk to him, but he didn't seem in the mood. “Sorry... I didn't meant to...”, he apologized, all of the sudden, scratching the back of my head. What was he talking about? Was it about how he acted after the kiss? It made me blush a little but I smiled because I don't think I behave right either. “It's OK... I have the feeling we apologize too often.” An awkward silence followed before he turned away again, mumbling something about to go back to Berk. Honestly, I don't want him to go, but I would miss my home too. “Uhm... the Bermuda-Triangle is in the south-west. But far, far away...”, I forced myself to say. I felt guilty for not telling him earlier. Bur I can't make out the direction we are looking at now. I just know it's in the south-west. “But it's dangerous!”, she added hesitating, hoping he wouldn't leave me. Does he notice it? That I care? What is is? “Does she wants to come with me?”, he mumbled, making my heart drop. Did he really thinks about this? It's not my imagination playing a joke on me? “What did ye say?”, I asked confused and excited. He looked up in shock and repeated his question while blushing red: “D-Do you want to come with me?” My heart stopped at the moment I looked into his eyes. There was something new in it. It was something self confidence and a touch of hope. I felt my stomach prickle like millions of butterflies were trying to escape. Of course I wanted! But then it hit me. I have to leave my family behind. My father, my brothers. I gasped at the realization of my mothers pregnancy. For a moment, his eyes looked fragile. But what about the baby?”, I whispered to my self but Hiccup seemed to hear it. His face went blank and his eyes dark. This is a bad misunderstanding, I guess. He jumped up from the tree, grinding circles around the camp fire. “Are you telling me....? You are not... please tell me...”, He was about to freaked out. He got it so wrong... Wait, didn't he know my mother is pregnant? The branches under me cracked as went to him and took his face in my hands, trying to calm him and explain: “Listen! I am not! I was talking about my mother! She is---” 'Oh my goodness' was the last thing he sighed before he pressed his lips on mine, softly.