Chapter 4

Edited as of January 11, 2021

~

Harry, Ron, and Hermione lured the Slytherin to a secluded classroom, practically dragging her in when they had spotted her walking out from History of Magic. Emily got knocked out of balance by the sensation of three hands grabbing her arm, sucking her into a dimly lit room. "What the hell – oh," She yanked her arm back, standing straight. "It's you lot. You know, there are easier ways to get me alone."

"Not when Malfoy is by your side at all hours of the day," Hermione smartly retorted. "Besides, what we have to discuss... It's of a sensitive nature – "

Emily nodded along, watching the tension rise among the Gryffindors. "You mean about the Chamber of Secrets?" She asked, looking at Hermione since the two boys refrained from speaking. "You have a suspect already? Let's hear it then, Granger." But her question was met with an awkward silence. Her green eyes quickly panned back and forth from Hermione, Harry, and Ron, slowly understanding why they had pulled her inside so secretively. "You didn't want Draco to suspect that you lot know something, or claim to know something, because you think he's the Heir of Slytherin."

Harry glanced briefly at his friends before coming clean to his sister. "Yes. You have to admit that he's being awfully suspicious, Em." To which Ron nodded along wholeheartedly, "He does fit the profile."

She had to admit to herself that Draco did seem like the type to unleash a hellmouth, though despite him being rough around the edges, Draco Malfoy was unlikely to bring evil onto Hogwarts. Emily trusted him, even if he is an occasional prat, she regarded him as her best friend. "Well, I'm sorry to disprove your theory, but I don't know anything about him opening any chamber. Even when he's not hanging out with me, he's spending time with Crabbe and Goyle. Those two don't exactly scream reliable henchmen."

Hermione asked if he had said anything about the chamber or anything at all that could correlate to it. Emily shook her head once more and sat down in one of the chairs, "He's been annoying, quite frankly. But no, nothing about the chamber. He knows that I don't like it when he talks about it, he knows that I absolutely despise him using that awful word he called you before, Granger. So, Draco's been careful of what he says, but that doesn't really help you three on your investigation."

A faint blush of pink twinkled on her cheeks when Hermione heard that Emily had set aside Draco in private to lecture him on his prejudice. Emily caught on it and shrugged, "Don't be all flattered, Granger. It's basic human decency."

Harry frowned but then found himself delighted in seeing how Emily and Hermione were warming up to each other, even if it was at a glacial pace. "Right. Aside from that, we also need your help."

"For what?" Emily asked, leaning forward on the desk.

"We need you to smuggle ingredients from Snape's private stores." Ron blurted.

Oh, they really are looking for trouble. She grinned, amused beyond belief, "Brewing a potion now, are we? And with ingredients from Snape's cupboard – so, naturally, one can deduce that the potion Hermione's making is one of a, how should I put it? Of an illegal nature? Highly irresponsible? Dangerous? Catastrophic?"

"We just found the recipe in the restricted section," Hermione added. "The name of the potion was erased, so we don't really know the name of it. Only that we need it as soon as possible."

Right off the bat, she knew that Hermione was lying to her. Emily didn't bother to infiltrate her mind, not when most of the people that surrounded her was far too easy to read. "Alright. When do you need it?"

Ron sighed in relief, his hand patting Harry's shoulder. "Two days before the Quidditch match."

Emily's smile perked up, her arms crossing over her body. "Tomorrow, then. That's perfect! It's been a long while since I've gotten into trouble. What do you need?" She turned to Hermione out of instinct, knowing full well that the boys would not be helpful in brewing a potion. "Lacewing flies and Boomslang skin."