||Angst Week|| Fears -4-

Blue Eyes_Green Coat
Light § Dark Together

"Azure, hijo." 

  Lance's mother swiped her thumb against his forehead, brushing his choppy bangs away from his eyes. Lately they hadn't had the chance to run to the barber with all the commotion of moving from Cuba to Florida.

  An eight year old Lance huffed, pulling away as he ran his hands through his hair, making it appear more disheveled. For some reason he preferred it that way.

  "Is that even a color?" He sounded disgusted, nose wrinkling in response. The young boy hated being confused. Whenever he didn't comprehend something his mouth would quirk to the side and his nose would scrunch up. His family always teased him about the expression, but it was habit he had no control of.

  The sunlight streaming in through the window reflected the shadow of the kitchen table, expanding the legs til they reached the opposite wall. It illuminated half of Lance's mother's face, making her green eyes twinkle with a tender light. Love.

  Lance bit his bottom lip, attempting to hold back a laugh threatening to erupt from his throat.

  "Your favorite color, Lance. A shade of blue." She laughed, once again, sweeping his bangs away as they were falling in his eyes. "Blue. The color of depth, stability, and-"

"Loyalty, I know mama." Lance complained, rolling his eyes.

  "Of course you do, you're smart!" She exclaimed, unfolding a quilt that she found on the couch earlier. She draped it over Lance's shoulders in a quick swoop.

  Her fingers left quickly, but she returned just as soon. She gave a poke to his freckled nose, that for some reason, meant the world.

•—•+•—•

  "It's camo, nieto, thought you'd like it." The accent was faded but still thick enough for it to be a drawl, a now teen Lance immediately deciphered it as he studied the rough material of the jacket.
  His long arms held it out so he could get a better look.

  "Abuelo, isn't this your favorite jacket? I can't take this from you!" His eyes were wide with fascination and his hands trembled slightly.

  Back in the living room Lance heard a shriek come from his older sister, probably because she got a newer model of the phone she wanted.
  His stomach growled as he remembered all the empty plates stacked up on the large oak table. Christmas had a special sort of feel to it whenever he visited family. A warmth, he wondered the jacket he was being offered, could achieve?

  His grandfather nodded, wire glasses glinting due to the lamp next to the chair he was sitting in. "And now I give to you." A crooked smile appeared on his face.

  "Camo, huh?" Lance asked, sitting on the bed next to the chair and glancing at the running television. The channels were all playing classics and stupid comedies with horrible punch-lines. He loved it more than anything else.

  "Green." His grandfather confirmed.

  "The color of life and renewal. Again, thank you!" He finished as a lazy smile graced his lips.

  It was something he'd never let go of.

  Lance's throat felt dry as he remembered the conversation of color he'd had with two of the people he loved most.

Messy Hair_Organized Feelings
Opposites Clash § Opposites Attract

  Lance often talked to himself whenever his nerves were taking control. He'd mumble, subconsciously. Little conversation that wouldn't seem unusual if they had been voiced between two people.
  But they were. He thought better when he was alone. Rationality peaking at its height when he isolated himself.