Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Lauren's POV

I look around me, what was with all these chests?

I walk up to the closest chest and kneel down in front of it. The patch was rusty and old so it was easily pried open.

I gasp at the contents.

A dead, rotting corpse in a ripped dress laid before me. I gulp back the bile that had been quickly rising in my throat.

The stench was becoming over whelming in the small room. I quickly shut the box and back up into another chest.

I open this one, hoping to have less dead contents, but was disappointed miserably.

These were the 'toy' chests he used, he actually stored them. Sort of like a demented toy store.

"L-Lauren?" Angel's voice whispers.

"Angel! Go back to bed!" I whisper yell, her seeing these dead bodies is the last thing I wanted.

"No. I can't, I can't sleep without you!" Angel whines her voice gradually getting louder.

"Go back and I'll be in there in a minute." I whisper back, slamming the chest closed. She gives me a pained look and goes back into the hallway.

I wring my hands and stare at the chests.

Why would he keep them?!

The missing Ma doll freaked me out, what was he doing to Ma? She was almost my family now, I couldn't lose anyone else.

I walk cautiously through the hall, making sure to close the door behind me before walking to my room.

I walk past the eerily dark living room to my 'room' to see Angel sitting on my window sill.

"Angel what are you doing?" I say quickly lifting her off the window. She frowns, "I'm trying to open the window, we could jump out if we could get one open.

I take a small look through the window to see an impossible height. "Angel, he has all the windows glued shut, even if we did get it open, the fall would kill us!" I exclaim closing the curtains hoping to help her forget about any deadly escape attempts.

"Death is a much better option right now." She mumbles plopping down on my bed. "Angel, let's just forget about it and get some sleep." I say, I had just realized my exhaustion.

She nods and snuggles up to my side as I slip in the small bed. "Night Lauren." She whispers and I hug her tight. "Sweet dreams my little Angel.

---

I wake to someone shaking me.

"Elizabeth! Have you seen Ma? I can't find her anywhere!" Katherine exclaims frantically, searching through the small wardrobe in my room like Ma would jump out in surprise.

"I haven't seen her, I woke up last night and she was gone." I say quickly getting out of bed as fast my dangling limbs could take me.

Katherine slides down on my wall into a crouched position and starts to softly cry. "She was one of my only friends here..."

"Katherine, I know this is a terrible time to ask but you know that room at the end of the hall?" I ask, feeling terrible about interrupting her sadness.

"What room?" She asks confused.

"The one at the end of this hall, haven't you seen it?" I reply pointing to where it would be outside my room.

She shakes her head and stands, "Will you show me?"

I nod and start walking, Angel laid sleeping, again, on my bed. She follows quickly behind me as I near the door.