“Oh. Okay.”

After getting over a few hurdles, John found he was starting to enjoy seeing the inside workings of his boyfriend’s brain. It was interesting to see how small details could show so much about people.

“Well, Sherlock, I am rubbish at this. Your brain is too complicated. Amazing, definitely, but complicated.”

“Well we only have a few stops left anyways.”

The boys pulled up at the platform and got out of the train. Within minutes Sherlock was engulfed by a hug from his mother. Sherlock rolled his eyes and John had to hold back laughter at the uncomfortable look on his boyfriend’s face.

“Oh Sherlock! It’s good to have you back! How’s school? How’s everything?”

Sherlock peeled his mum off him and took a step back. “I will explain everything when we get to the house.” Sherlock stepped aside and pushed John forward. “Mother, this is my friend, John.”

Sherlock’s mum beamed and hugged John. “John! It’s so great that Sherlock has finally made a friend! We always tried to get children to like him but they seemed to be put off by the various body parts under his bed.”

John looked at Sherlock accusingly but Sherlock just shrugged.

“Well I’m pretty used to his shenanigans by now.” John joked.

“Oh I’m so glad! Sherlock, your father is at home with Mycroft and Greg. They arrived yesterday evening.”

Sherlock groaned, “Oh goodie.”

John punched Sherlock on the shoulder playfully. “Oh lighten up Sherlock! It’s Christmas!”

The boys slid into the back seat of the car and after a ten-minute drive they were pulling up in the driveway of the Holmes’ family residence.

Mrs. Holmes bustled the boys inside.

“Now Sherlock. You and John will be sleeping in your room. The air mattress is already up there all you need to blow it up.”

John and Sherlock exchanged a fleeting glance.

“Ok Mother. John and I will go and unpack.” Sherlock picked up his suitcase and lead led John upstairs, placing his hand on John’s back.

As they disappeared up the stairs, Sherlock missed the knowing smile that had formed on his mother’s lips.

“So this is my room. Well, I mean, ex-room.”

John looked around. The room was pretty much empty spare the bed and air mattress in the middle of the floor. There were a few bare cupboards against the walls but it was obvious they were never used anyways.

“So should we blow up the mattress?”

Sherlock smiled. “Really John? I don’t feel like we’ll need two beds.” John smirked and turned to face Sherlock.

“Oh really Mr. Holmes? And why would that be?”

Sherlock kissed John and smirked. “Shut up or you will be sleeping on the floor”

Their lips met for the second time but this time for longer. Sherlock wrapped his arms round John’s waist and pulled him closer. John tangled his hand in Sherlock’s hair.

Riiiiing

The bell rang to signal dinner and the boys broke apart reluctantly. Sherlock groaned. “Now? Really?” John laughed and grabbed Sherlock’s hand.