I could tell what was coming.

Unlike last time, I was more aware of my body now.

So I could tell that my time was coming again.

A new month, therefore a new cycle.

I didn't want to move from the comfort of the fire.

I didn't want to move at all actually.

I just sat there waiting for my destruction to come.

For the King to smell those first few drops and become sick off the sweetness again.

"I'm bleeding," Saint says, matter of factly.

I raise my head and stare at her.

She smiles and nods.

"That's why he threw me out."

We continue in silence.

On my own part, I'm confused.

I feel questions rise in me as to why the King would throw her out during her time.

Wouldn't he want that?

Wouldn't he enjoy that?

My confusion only rises when Saint and I both ride out our cycle together- and the King never comes.

Neither do the screams.

In fact, after a few days, I've made the conclusion that he is not even on the other side of us.

Saint and I have not spoken.

Aside from the occasional curse words from Saint and insults to the silent staff that bring us food- she has not attempted conversation with me.

But my curiosity grows to be too much and I find myself asking on the third day of our cycle- "Why did he throw you out when he knew you would be bleeding?"

Saint pauses in her eating. She shrugs, "he doesn't like it. The bleeding down there. He finds it gross."

"But-,"

"We know, we know. No need to tell us how special you are. He tells us enough."

Saint's words have me raising an eyebrow in surprise.

She sighs and leans backs, "I knew this wouldn't be a love story."

She pauses and turns to look at the door that leads to the King's room.

"I knew when I came here that there would be no story about falling in love. Of having the King at my feet and promising himself to me."

Her words are whispered now- so much so that I find myself leaning in closer.

"I thought I could handle that. I thought I could handle the darkness. I was confident to think that I didn't need love in my life- just power." She shakes her head, "How wrong was I."

"You could be Queen," I whisper to her. I didn't know if the King wanted it to be a secret but I also didn't care.

"All of them could be Queen," she gestures vaguely outside, "But you." She narrows her eyes at me, "You could be...I don't know. He always talks about you. But it's not love...I actually don't think he can love. I don't think he knows what it means- and he never will. He's too evil."

She sighs, "You...you are like his pet. Exotic. Nice. Something that will always fascinate him."

"I don't want to be," I said.

"No one wants to be," Saint said rolling her eyes.

She moves closer to me and suddenly is rolling onto the blankets with me.

I blink back in surprise as we lay there together.

"I've kept her safe you know. For you."

I know immediately who she is talking about.

I feel all the air leave me as I exhale in relief.

"How?"

"Whenever his eye roams to her...I volunteer...."

"Why would you do that?"

Saints eyes harden, "I want someone to keep that look in their eyes. I want someone to remember what it was like to be innocent."

We stay there in silent thought until I break it, "Saint...if I ask you to help me...would you?"

Her eyes of hatred glare at me.

But I realize then that the hatred is not for me.

"Yes."

"If I ask you to stab someone...would you?"

A wicked grin enters her face, "Someone like the King?"

I laugh at the excitement on her face.

"No," I shake my head, "Let me explain."