1| AIR

Air

Air.

It was something that I only took in and absorbed at night, when no one else was around.

When the moon was alive in full view of me, and the reflection of us both cast a gleam across the grass.

Only then could I breathe.

I soaked in the night. The breeze upon my skin, absorbing into it.

I was only allowed outside at this time because of who I was. So I didn't take it lightly. Each moment was precious. Each inhale a treasure. Each scent, sight, sound and whisper in the dark absorbed into my thoughts so I could reflect and hold onto the memory.

Air.

So little of it was surprisingly inside. One would think the same amount would circulate within and out. 

But no.

I closed my eyes and let the moon cast her sight upon my skin. I was undressed under her gaze. But it did not matter here. Modesty, hiding, blushes. Those were looked down upon. Why hide what you had been blessed with?

My skin hid within the dark shadows. Weary of the holy glow from the moon. The white shone upon the brown within my feature. The only part of me that imitated her sister above was my hair. Pure, holy white.

I kept my eyes closed as I heard the sound of footsteps approaching me from behind.

"Arishia."

I turned to face the kneeling figure, head bowed to not look at me.

"I am devoted to the light of Asundra, blessings to you Arishia."

I didn't let my eyes leave the crouched figure, "Blessings," I said, returning the greeting.

The man did not raise his head. I would strike if he did. He looked at the ground and said, "The new crop is being selected."

My eyes glazed over. Again. It was happening again.

"Word reaches the Orphic's ears that the pickings will be within our field. One of our fruits will be taken."

I did not speak as the messenger continued in his bad tidings, "The fruit will be taken. Whether it is still green, ripe or rotting. It will be selected."

"How many will be selected?" I questioned.

"Within our field there will be twenty fruits taken from us. However there is a high demand for a fruit within our walls."

A shiver that the messenger could not repress ran through his back. I watched as the fear slowly sinked into his bones. The news to heavy a burden. Fool. He only had to live with the words. Not the actions.

"Thank you."

The man slowly rose and did not raise his head as he backed away. The door behind him opened, and soon he was gone from my sight.

I returned my gaze upon the moon.

Just a few seconds ago I had been content to bask in her glory. Now I stared up at her in somber silence.

They are coming Arishia, the moon seemed to whisper to me.

They are coming and you nor your powers can stop it.

You know what this means.

I closed my eyes, knowing my fate was finally taking ahold of me.

I know what this means.