c. nineteen

As we made our way inside, I'd become like an excitable puppy, gawking at all the flashing lights and high-retail stores lining the fancy white tile floor. I entered a few shops but at the prospect of buying things I became nervous, and only when I'd been staring at a pair of trousers long enough did Irene swiftly take the black card from me. She pulled a horrendous yellow jumper with embroidered large green flowers all over it and held it up to me, an evil smirk tugging at her lips.

"If you don't start shopping, I'll be doing it for you, and I'll most certainly be starting with this," I gulped and pondered my decision, "I can only imagine how stunning you'd look in this jumped with pink trousers," she added as an afterthought to herself and it was then I yelped, grabbing the card away from her grip. She laughed and I heard Catori snicker as I walked well ahead of the two who seemed to be in light-hearted conversation. I scanned the racks, picking and choosing from a variety of affordable clothing items and I only took what I thought I needed, steering clear from the more expensive selections.

We'd been wandering around aimlessly and Catori and Irene squealed as we came towards a shop and I followed them cluelessly into the store and my lips parted in surprise in the elegance. I'd lost Catori and Irene and I simply walked around gawking at the beautiful garments that hanged in the brightly lit room. My attention was caught by a halter dress, made from smooth silk of a deep maroon colour and I approached it, running my fingers down its length, and as I enjoyed the feel of it, my hand noted the numbers on the price tag and I immediately stepped away, only to find Irene nodding, encouraging me and I only shook my head and her shoulders slumped in disappointment.

She left me once more and I took the dress, holding it in my arms and wandering around the shop until I found the changing rooms, and I noted the way in which the thin blonde woman had looked me up and down, before reluctantly letting me in, her lips curled back in disgust. I almost pondered turning back, but something deep within me urged my forwards and I slowly stripped and slid the expensive silk up my body, being careful with the expensive garment.

I gasped slightly as I looked in the mirror, and spun around, enjoying the way it stuck to my gentle curves and I smiled at myself, genuinely happy with the way I looked. I looked once again at the price tag and turned round only to find Catori and Irene staring at me too with the same wonder in their eyes.

"You look so beautiful!" Irene screamed and Catori nodded, offering me a small but genuine smile.

"I'd feel horrible, it's so expensive," I said, spinning once more in the mirror. And I shook my head at them, gently closing the curtain and changing into the clothes I'd borrowed from Catori.

We'd left the store together and continued in polite chatter, and shopped until we couldn't carry any more, however Irene had a mischievous smirk plastered on her face as she told us to follow her and as Catori came to a realization a similar smirk graced her lips.

We came to a store that swirled with deep maroon colours and as I came to the realization of what it was, heat burned at my cheeks and I turned to walk out, and before I could take a step, Irene's hand was on my wrist and she shook her head, leading me deep within the store. She hummed gently, as she picked items from their racks, often holding them up to me for size and I didn't bother looking up, simply mumbling my agreement, hoping to get us out of the shop quicker.

Irene had forced the bags into my hands and had beamed at me, telling me I'd thank her soon enough. Hours passed, and we decided to find something to eat, and settled for a small bistro and we'd sat by the window, all admiring the sunset colours that littered the sky. I'd been left alone as Catori and Irene had gone to order something to eat and I tapped my fingers mindlessly on the table, staring at them and losing myself in thought. I suddenly noted a pair of hands across the table and I slowly looked up, locking eyes with a strange man, who stared into me with a tilted head.